Off the deep end with reloading

I use AmmoSeek to find the best prices on the Internet for ammo. Check it out.
Another option I’ve used is AmmoGrab
Both of these sites will help you find the best prices on ammo to be shipped to your home.

3 Likes

That’s where I got my 45 Colt bullets with Hi Tek Coating.

I like that Hi Tek coating. You can charge the cartridge with more powder than bare lead. It’s kinda like jacketed bullets but the coating prevents metal to metal friction.

I used to buy Fiocchi cartridges. These Missouri bullets make my reloads just like the Fiocchi cartridges I’m used to.

3 Likes

At 38/ 45 revolver velocities, I would argue that lead bullets with real lube in the lube groove are a perfect match. There is quite a science behind lube and lead, reasearch it sometime. (IMAO) coated bullets are a fix for something that was not broken. Also their characteristics make load development a challange, they don’t seal gas off like a lubed lead bullet but friction coefficient way lower then a jacketed or plated bullet so hard to get consistant velocities, especially out of a revolver.
For indoor shooting range mid velocity (budget) bullets I like to go with plated, Berrys or X-tream or sim, outdoor gravel pit/ range I like lubed lead, X-tream has a good selection and never had a leading issue, Oregon Lasercast for the big bore rifles, and for high velocity / Magnum loads spend the money and get XTP’s, Noslers, Speers, etc.

2 Likes

To add to your setup, Want to try out some copper plated Accura Outdoors Bullets?

3 Likes

@Accuraoutdoors Never tried them, I’ll take a look next purchase, thanks. All the common calibers?
Al

2 Likes

yep, pistol calibers and 300blk

2 Likes

Checked out your site, my next order is coming your way. (Maybe a sale coming up?)
Thanks–
Al

2 Likes

I created a coupon for members of Full30. Use Full30 for 10% off your next purchase. This coupon will only be shown on the forums on Full30. And we always have free shipping.

7 Likes

Thank you

We try to help out anyway we can,

we also offer the forum if you’d like to lease it for a month

and of course advertising on the video side

3 Likes

Digging around on Sixguns.com found what I was looking for RE: Lubed bullets by Glen Fryxell, written before my time.
In summary, bullet lube is pumped from the lube groove to the barrel surface by compression, linear acceleration and radial acceleration. In addition, lube is injected forward during the firing process, as the result of high-pressure gas leakage into the lube groove. This injection process forms a floating fluid gasket around the bullet, and serves to limit gas cutting and is a kind of ballistic stop-leak. Hard lubes must first melt before they can be pumped or injected by any of these mechnisms. By incorporating moly into the mix, the lube delivered to the barrel surface can serves to prevent adhesion of future leading deposits by passivating the steel surface.
The whole article by Glen Fryxell is here:
http://www.sixguns.com/crew/lube_bullets.htm
and lots of old school stuff on the branding crew
http://www.sixguns.com/crew

5 Likes

That’s an interesting article about bullet lube. Sixguns.com is a great web site. I’ve been looking for a new book to read. Sixguns.com has the entire “Book Of the .44” on line for free. Amazon.com has that book for sale in paperback for $127. I think I’ll save my money and read it on line.
https://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Book-44/dp/0896894169

3 Likes

I’ve been hosting and updating Sixguns.com for probably 10-15 years, took over from the last old guy who took it over from another old guy. Site has been around in one form or another since the early days of the net and Glen Fryxell was one of the first contributors.
Trying to keep up with Sixguns is a challange, I’m over 60 and by no means a web guru. Hopfully some new blood will come along that wants to help out.
PS Online Book of the 44 complements of Mr. Taffin, formatting and hosting by Yours Truly.
Single Action Sixguns is also available, but a lot of the images were unavailable when I did the project:
https://www.sixgun-forums.com/sixguns/content/single-action-sixguns-john-taffin

4 Likes

Thought you had it all under control?

2 Likes

Just need an intern that’s not ready for a rest home…

3 Likes

Kinda go’s with the nature of the six gun :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

.50ae is what made me start reloading. Bought the Hornady LnL and then the itch started!!

Good looking bench setup, much more space than I have on my bench!

Check out Inline Fabrications, they make a nice modular mounting system that lets you swap your press for other things if needed, as well as things to aid the reloading process

3 Likes

I use the frankford arsenal stainless steel tumbler.

6 Likes

I am also anal about every round and use a single stage press. I dont mind the time,I find it soothing.

7 Likes

It certainly seems like you have went off the deep end. I feel it is my responsibility to help you. I cant do much but I will do what I can. I will take that table/station off your hands to help you avoid the temptation lol.

5 Likes
4 Likes