Official caliber war thread(Handguns)

If you had to rely on your pistol to put down a two legged critter, what caliber would you choose? (handgun calibers only)

• 9mm
  • .357 sig
  • .40 S&W
  • .45 ACP
  • 10MM
  • .357 Magnum
  • Other

0 voters

4 Likes

it was never about a caliber… but about the accuracy and speed. even .25ACP and .22LR are very deadly

3 Likes

8 Likes

Is there any g19 sized 10mm pistols? Not just glock but at all.

3 Likes

I’m still a .45 fan for no particular reason except it was the first pistol caliber I got to shoot as a kid and I like my 1911s. That said these days 9mm is a close second for me and they’re clearly effective. Guess it was really a toss up to me but tipped by tradition.

3 Likes

I’ll stick with my 9mm. High round count, low recoil, and because I compete with 9mm, I’m very fast with follow up shots.

5 Likes

I almost chose .45 ACP, however, I’m more proficient and quicker with 9mm on follow up shots.

6 Likes

@Caw, what’s the scenario how far away/close is your two-legged critter, how large is your critter how much does the critter weigh, is he shooting back at you, is the Critter moving or behind cover?

3 Likes

Buzzkill.

Ok, let’s assume acceptable FBI combat distance of 7yds. Assailant is an average male 5’10" & 180lbs. He has a gun but is not shooting.

Now go.

5 Likes

I vote for 12 gauge…

4 Likes

Mmmmmm 10mm… :drooling_face:

5 Likes

Lets say society collapsed and shit has hit the fan, what handgun would you choose for defense?

2 Likes

@Caw, full size Glock in 10 mm!

2 Likes

10mm is pretty impressive. How do hot loads for the .40 s&w compare to 10mm?

3 Likes

@Caw, a hot 40 from a 5 or 6 in tube would be an excellent choice, Underwood or Buffalo Bore in 40 are definitely to be taken seriously.

3 Likes

FBI 9MM Justification, FBI Training Division
“…9mm Luger now offers select projectiles which are, under identical testing conditions, I outperforming most of the premium line .40 S&W and .45 Auto projectiles tested by the FBI…
…9mm Luger offers higher magazine capacities, less recoil, lower cost (both in ammunition and wear on the weapons) and higher functional reliability rates (in FBI weapons)…
…The majority of FBI shooters are both FASTER in shot strings fired and more ACCURATE with shooting a 9mm Luger vs shooting a .40 S&W (similar sized weapons)…
…There is little to no noticeable difference in the wound tracks between premium line law Auto enforcement projectiles from 9mm Luger through the .45 Auto…”
http://soldiersystems.net/2014/09/25/fbi-9mm-justification-fbi-training-division/

4 Likes

.357 Magnum performs better than 10mm :wink:

3 Likes

All of them are inferior to a rifle but if I had to use a handgun it would be what ever I was carrying anywhere from a .380 to a .44 mag.

4 Likes

I know I can put multiple rounds quicker on target with 9mm than my 45 but if I only had 1 bullet to fire to stop an assailant ,I’d choose the 45 acp all day long.

4 Likes

Well if SHTF right now it’s the .45 for me cuz I’m pretty well stocked with ammo for them. (I got 3 1911s that I need to keep fed.)

5 Likes