Oh sh%t! which one?

Everyone is bugging out here. Family + friends plan is to come here to the “bunker” as they call it.

4 Likes

When select undesirable friends & family say “we’re coming to your house!” I tell them good luck getting past the fucking claymores & hail of gunfire! That usually wipes the smirk off their face! They are the ones who call you nuts because you have all your shit in order.

6 Likes

Rugular is good. Constipated is bad! Easy choice​:rofl::joy:

4 Likes

Well, I’m regularly constipated so I got you both beat!

3 Likes

@SAK well then, here’s your new badge💩

4 Likes

It’s going to have to be my Mossberg 500! I can kill just about anything I need to with it. And if it gets real bad then it can become a shrapnel gun.

3 Likes

AR-15 and my CZ-75 in 9mm. I carried a Beretta through many deployments and I’ll tell you hands down I would choose the CZ any day of the week over the Beretta.

2 Likes

ThisOldGun:

CZ-75 certainly is a nice gun. But, what makes it better than the Beretta?

Thanks for any info/advice you can give on this.

1 Like

I should have elaborated- I would take my CZ Pre-B without the de-cocker. It’s a feature that I did not care for on the Beretta. I had to pull it out of its holster one time on a deployment and I would much rather have a pistol that I can carry cocked and locked. Edit: Ergonomics too I think the CZ wins in that aspect.

4 Likes

I don’t have “undesirable” family or friends. They been sent packing long ago.
Superstorm Sandy gave us a good test a few years ago. We had 11 here for 12 days.
High ground -heat x 3 source- water x 2 source-power x 3 source [multi gensets] solar and 12v backup
Always be prepared.

“you get a gun -you get a gun EVERYBODY gets a gun”
If qualfied :grinning:

5 Likes

mjrfd99 gave a good example of an emergency situation - a superstorm. Having lived in Puerto Rico and along the Florida and Mississippi Gulf Coast for almost 20 years, I’ve been through 5 hurricanes in my life. I was also in Biloxi just before Katrina hit and returned the next day to look for my Dad.

When it comes to hurricanes, it’s the aftermath, and not so much the storm itself that most of us suffer through. Of all the necessities one needs after a hurricane, the two most important are water and gas, not guns and ammo. Not once, not even in crime-ridden Puerto Rico, did I feel the need to use a gun after a hurricane hit and everyone lost power and electricity within a several hundred mile radius. It was water and gas that we needed more than anything.

When a hurricane hits, all that clean, potable water is gone. The city water system gets overloaded and stops working. If any water comes out of the faucet, it’s not fit to drink. But most of the time no more water comes out of the faucet. Without water, you can’t flush the toilet, take a bath, clean dishes, etc. Any spare water you may have gets used up quick for drinking and cooking. What we learned to do was fill up every bath tub, bucket and container in the house with water, then go to every store and buy as many bottles of water remaining on the shelves. With that, you’ll hope you have enough for you and the kids to use for a few days to a week until the water gets turned back on. If you live along the Gulf Coast or in Florida, you can risk taking a dip or a bath in a creek or bayou and hope you don’t get bit by a gator or water mocassin. My friends and family did just that, and luckily the local gators left us alone.

Next up is gas. Unlike our European allies with their pedestrian friendly neighborhoods, our own urban and suburban sprawl is designed for the use of cars in order to go anywhere. Since cars need gas it’s best to gas up before the power lines get blown down, thereby shutting down all the gas stations for several days to a week.

Food is important, but I never went hungry after a hurricane. We always had plenty of canned food, chips, cookies, etc. to fill ourselves. But one thing you’d be surprised to learn is that some restaurants, especially fast food places, usually open a day or two after a hurricane hits, despite the lack of power and water. I remember being told to report to work as soon as I could when I used to work in the food industry. We had to conserve water and couldn’t cook our full menu and had to rely on backup generators. Waffle House is also well known for opening up no matter what happens, or at least they were in Florida and along the Gulf Coast.

Also, be prepared for a complete lack of telecommunications systems. Hurricane force winds usually knock down both land lines and cell towers. When Katrina hit, my Dad didn’t have phone service for almost a month. Ham radios can be indispensable, as well as battery operated radios.

One other thing I’d like to mention is a phenomenon I’ve experienced at every hurricane aftermath I’ve witnessed. And that is the pulling together of neighbors. Instead of the mass chaos, killings and murders many may fear, I always winessed something about the human spirit to help others in need. The news focused on the Cajun Navy and North Texans flocking to the Texas Coast to help Hurricane Harvey victims. It was this same phenomena I witnessed since my first hurricane in the 80’s, and I also witnessed it in Puerto Rico, an area of relatively high crime. Granted, there are definitely instances of crime occurring after a hurricane hits, especially looting. But in residential neighborhoods, that’s not so much the case. I witnessed neighbors, many of whom didn’t know each other, sharing food, water, gas, generators, etc. They helped clean debris from each other’s homes and yards and looked out for another.

Now, it’s true that this helpful spirit occurred at a time when most knew things would get back to normal after a short while. I don’t know if the same could be said if the break down would last a long time, well after most ran out of whatever canned food they may have had at home. I suppose in a situation like that, guns and ammo would be much more valuable items to have.

7 Likes

Equin:

Thank you for the excellent writeup, very accurate. I have lived in Florida for over 10 years and know some of the things from hurricanes you mentioned.

One thing I would add, if I am not mistaken, gun dealers are not allowed to sell guns in times of emergency. So, buy whatever you think you will need well before the emergency occurs. Of course, ammo, too, but not sure if that gets restricted during emergencies. Still, always helpful to have some ammo (guns not much use without it!).

3 Likes

Actually after 3 days the predators were circling the neighborhoods. Car loaded with obamas sons slow cruised our street till they saw the encampment on my neighbors front lawn. They had a huge tree come down. We all did. We all got out the saws and went to work. Circle of tree stumps -campfire for the smaller stuff and a couple of neighborhood USA and USSR “tools” completed our front lawn campground . The sons? Their eyes got LARGE and their car went woooooosh down the street never to be seen again. LOL
Working at my FIL’s house [1/2 totaled] I asked a Pensylvaina Trooper [sent to help NJ shore] "what about these looters? " All he said was “reload when needed”

7 Likes

“Surviving Argentina” by FerFal and Selcos forum/blog are pretty insightful to shtf type stuff too. Ferfal survived 5 years in a shtf event where the economy collapsed and the government shutdown. Selco survived Bosnia during a civil war in the 90’s. Both talk alot about the violence they encountered on a daily basis.

6 Likes

DDM4V11 in 5.56. My kit has spare batteries, ammo, and medical/water. Can’t go wrong. I really think the AR-15 is just the single best “go-to” rifle, especially now with the amount of parts commonality out there. The fact that you can swap whole uppers and lowers to different calibers is unique. They’re also straight up solid rifles, despite all the hate they get.

7 Likes

I read about the Argentine experience. I was surprised to hear of the greater danger posed to lone houses out in the rural boondocks. The explanation made sense, though. Easy pickings for roving gang of thugs using greater numbers to overpower and breach a solitary home out in the middle of nowhere where there are no neighbors to hear the gunshots, much less the victims’ screams. Much more difficult to penetrate the defenses of a suburban neighborhood where neighbors organize and setup a more easily defended perimeter and can better control entry and exit of neighborhood streets.

6 Likes

:+1:

3 Likes

The (2) are an AR long, and a Glock side. Kit is ready, but we’re not going anywhere for at least a few days.

a.) Bug in with what we have and evaluate scenario, logistics, comms., and tactics.

b.) Load up truck, hook up trailer, MAYBE get to the first road block and…?

Right now we have WAY TOO many bat guano crazy folks nursing on the purge and TWD and fort nite to stick anything outside other than a barrel. This BOB and overland vehicle prep industry has gone off the reservation for $$$. It’s a Y2K industry, all over again, milking fears and wallets.

7 Likes

I live near forest land, and within minutes can vanish. If it is a didi mau situation, then the ARs
and light weight ammo are the logical choose. Not my best nor favorite choice.
Even at my age I can hump a ruck, 400 rounds of 300 BKO, and the stuff we need to go camping in the great pacific northwet.

Translation: Didi Mau: Get the beep out

7 Likes

sounds too dinki-do bow coo

2 Likes