OK, gurus. ID this

Can the brain trust identify this? Prize is a 4 yr all expenses paid vacation around the world. Claim prize at any Navy recruiter.

7 Likes

Can I call in a friend @Robocop1051 ?

4 Likes

Looks to me like a 45-110 or a 50-110 but I’m not 100% for sure.

3 Likes

The lead point is kind of a no no on those rounds though so I’m probably wrong

3 Likes

Looks like a straight casing with a really light crimp if any at all so it may be sub sonic

4 Likes

That’s some homemade made up stuff and is not real.

5 Likes

And this… could be a possibility

4 Likes

You’re getting closer.

4 Likes

My final answer would probably be a .510 whisper. I’ll wait for someone else to answer if that’s wrong cause I’m lost after that guess

4 Likes

we need something stittin beside it for size comparison, that could be a 50BMG case or a 308 case. hard to tell just by itself

5 Likes

NO…that’s cheating!! :rage:

4 Likes

Yeah, without some way of estimating the size, the only clues are that it appears to be a straight walled case (and not a rimmed case) with a projectile shape that is more common in bottle-necked cases.

Probably quite a list of wildcats that would fit that criteria.

Edit: …and now I’m wondering how closely a .22 Epperson Cricket (.223 projectile in a .25acp case) would resemble that.

4 Likes

Wow. You guys are coming up with some stuff I’ve never heard of. Here’s one with a comparative object.

7 Likes

Looks like a .308 projectile.

4 Likes

It’s closer to a .300 black out than anything but it doesn’t have a straight case.

5 Likes

I’ll confess to being a “little” devious. If I wait any longer and tell you what it is you might all come hunting for me. I was just digging around in some old reloading stuff I had in storage from the 70s. That’s the last time I used it and it was Lee hand loaders, so I was just piddling with no real knowledge of what I was doing. I found some old Super vel bullets and these Sierra 30 cal 165 gr spitzer boat tail bullets that I was using for my 30-06. So just fooling around I stuck one of the 165 gr into a 30 carbine case. And no, I definitely won’t try to load one for my carbine.

8 Likes

I won, send me my tickets. later i’ll tell ya how I knew it was fake.

5 Likes

Tickets can be redeemed at any Navy recruiter’s office. You just have to “sign” for them.

6 Likes

I was just about to post. It looked like a made up round, but I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt. I thought maybe my perspective was off and the cartridge was larger than it appeared. I knew it wasn’t a .510 caliber based on the pic with the quarter. The closest “real” cartridge would be the wildcat .338 Whisper.

image https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cpLa9xPandY/WZQdbpm3vUI/AAAAAAABaqk/4bQyQ2kFmIQATNTjp-nvnoShlmKN4nlKgCLcBGAs/s1600/silcar1ts.JPG

6 Likes

a round of ammo ?

3 Likes