Old Garand ammo...need advice

I’m really not trying to be a d***** b** about this… But I’ve had probably had More World War rifles grenade on me than anybody else on this forum. Additionally I fire new production weapons monthly and have had a few of those pop also. When I quit listening to forum gunsmith’s and would be professionals, my life got safer.

4 Likes

Well, I’ve decided I am going to keep his ammo for sentimental reasons and not use it. And it’s not worth it to me to pull and reload, I’ll just leave it the way he left it. Watching him reload is a happy memory for me and having his ammo there will always remind me of that.

I am taking a look at commercial ammo now and that’s the route I will take. Just want to get the right thing. Now is there something about the pressure for a Garand that I need to pay attention to when making my decision?

7 Likes

The above is on point…I go easy on my world war rifles, they are old girls and deserve respect.
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/prvi-partizan-30-06-springfield-m1-garand-150-gr-fmj-pp348-p-95.aspx
This is what I currently run.

5 Likes

Thanks for that, reading it now.

3 Likes

PPU is good to go.

4 Likes

That’s just milsurp loaded in ethopia. Should be ok . They sell a ton of that stuff at the gunshow at Knob Creek machine gun shoot next month. Sealed spam cans already in clips.

2 Likes

You make it look so easy, you’re gifted!:rofl::joy:

2 Likes

I would think since Grandfather labeled it and boxed it he was pretty careful loading it also…I would have no issue, but since I’m not an internet gunsmith or profess to be one do what you want. The internet is full of experts…or they say so anyway.

3 Likes

Yes, he reloaded everything he shot. He possibly had more modern 30-06 rifles too which is why am am leary of the unlabeled ones. The numbers look good on the labels, but to be on the same side, I will just hold onto it, even though I think it would shoot fine.

3 Likes

Looking at the PPU and this:
https://www.sellierbellot.us/products/rifle-ammunition/rifle-ammunition-fmj/detail/562/

4 Likes

The 30-06 Winchester box you pictured above is NOT for that rifle. I don’t know the specs but can have it for you tomorrow. the pressure is higher on the 30-06 than that of the ammo made for the Garand. Afew rounds shouldn’t hurt it but I wouldn’t put too many thru it. One of the guys that works for me has all that info. His brother works for the special weps development division in Quantico. He gets all kinds of good info.

3 Likes

OK, that’s important to know. Thanks

2 Likes

That PRVI Partizan is good stuff for the Garand!

4 Likes

Sellier & Bellot Garand-specific ammo is also good stuff!

4 Likes

Those are the two I’m looking at. Thanks

2 Likes

I don’t know if that old ammo is safe to shoot out of your Garand, but the 4895 powder is the correct, faster burn rate powder. The slower burn rate powder is what can supposedly cause damage to the operating rod:

According to the knowledgeable folks over at the cmp forum, sounds like mixed results using 3031 powder:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=82761

By the way, that cmp forum has a lot of good info on Garands and Garand-specific ammo.

3 Likes

I shoot those two brands out my Garand with good results.

3 Likes

I was already nervous about shooting this thing. All this talk about the rifles blowing up and avoiding the wrong ammo has me even more nervous now. I’ll probably never work up the courage to shoot it. :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

Get some of that new commercial grade Garand ammo and go shoot it!
You won’t regret it, I guarantee it…there is absolutely nothing like shooting a piece of history like that and thinking about the men who carried that type of rifle every day and did deadly serious work with it. You may not walk a mile in their shoes, but it creates a link between you and that history that wasn’t there before.
And any new gun, with new ammo can blow up as well as old guns with old ammo. Stop worrying and start enjoying!
Hell it’s more dangerous to get in your car and hurl your body down the road at 60mph with the other idiots out there…seriously!

3 Likes

I’ve had it for 16 years and haven’t shot it yet. I wasn’t ready. I hope to remedy that soon though.

4 Likes