Oldest Rifle you still shoot

Thought this would be good since there is Still in Service thread.

Mine is a 1910 M-96 Swedish Mauser 6.5 x 55

4 Likes

Winchester P17, wonderful old war horse.
EDIT: March 1918 date on the barrel.

4 Likes

Oldest Shooter - 1918 No1. MK III*

3 Likes

1891 Mosin-Nagant (dated 1893 with the old hex receiver)

1898 Springfield (unsporterized) .30 US. (.30-40 Krag)

Though not very often.

4 Likes

Not surplus but a remington model 14.

3 Likes

either my grandfathers speedmaster 552 I think it is. He had these when he ran rifle range on the Carolina Beach Boardwalk. Shoots 22 shorts only. That or my other Grandfathers Remington model 11 that Remington says was carried in Vietnam as I was told by my grandfather before I bought it from him. Shoots 2 3/4 only. It still has the markings from the government and is marked military finish what ever that means

3 Likes

1915 M-96 Swedish Mauser 6.5x55. Will easily touch man-size steel out to 600+ yds (my experience, iron sights) and I understand they are still used in F-Class Long Range and 1,000 yd competitions. Has a great rear Tangent Sight. :sweden: ::rocket:

AARW.steve

4 Likes

1933 M91/30 Mosin, one of my favorite rifles to shoot and reload for.

4 Likes

M1 Garand

3 Likes

I am seeing rifles mentioned but no dates.
When were they manufactured (more or less)?

2 Likes

My model 14 was made in 1919.

1 Like

My rifle was made 1973, shit, wrong forum😳

3 Likes

it’s oldest not newest…

4 Likes

Edited the post for you, March 1918 on the P17.

3 Likes

My Springfield 1873 Trapdoor. It was actually made 1884, I think. Just reloaded 20 more cowboy 45-70 for it to take to the range. When I deer hunt with it during primitive season I get some interesting looks. One thing for sure, they can’t say it isn’t primitive.

4 Likes

Thats awesome!!!
I assume it is Black-powder as well.
Let us know how you do at the range.

1 Like

I’ve got one pretty much like this but with a darker stock and dated 1938. It is a good shooter.

3 Likes

Made in 1927 and still looks newish. Shoots like a dream.

6 Likes

The rifle has been in the family for many decades. A couple of years ago I decided to check it out to use during primitive season. We loaded a few rounds with black powder equilivent making three levels of power. I wasn’t sure the thing was safe to shoot at that point. I got a few sand bags, propped the gunup on a couple of them and put it between two safes I had in the shop. I aimed it into a heavy steel safe with phone books and 4x6 boards as a backstop. I put another sand bag over the breach, tied a string to the trigger, hid behind a safe, and pulled the string. This was inside my shop, so it was loud. That went well so I moved up in step to the full load and it worked well. I took it hunting a couple of times. The problem with it is that the rear sight is so low behind the hinge for the trap door that it is hard to see. In low light my old eyes just can’t see it. I missed a realy nice 6 pt. first time out. I haven’t seen anything else to shoot at since. I put some white-out on the sights so I can see them better. This will be the first time I actually make an effort at the range to see how it does. I’ll post results when I go. Probably next month some time.

4 Likes

Well, I took the trapdoor to the range today. I had never really scrubbed the bore so I did that before I took it out. There was a ton of rust and other debri that came out of it. I know that had an effect on the trajectory. I still can’t hardly see the sights so getting a good target pic is difficult. Today I only shot at 50 jds but was able to get three shots reasonably close together. Considering the blur I have to use as a sight I think I did ok. I’ll feel comfortable using it for deer season later this year.

3 Likes