OTIS CLEANING KIT

Who here has used these, how do you like it? I bought one & it’s been sitting in my field bag for some time. I never felt like using it a) because I figured I’d never get it all back in the pouch again & b) I figured it was probably ok in the field( better than nothing) , but not as good as the Dewey rods, and my worn out .22 brass brush with a patch. I finally decided to bust my kit open yesterday while cleaning all the guns i shot while hog hunting. I was pleasantly surprised on the ease & abilities of this fairly simple kit. Especially on my Ruger .22 rifle. I think I’ll be using it a lot more from now on.

6 Likes

9 Likes

Haven’t had a chance to buy one of these yet

5 Likes

Just out of curiosity…what are the top cleaning kits out there??..anyone’s opinions are welcome!!

6 Likes

I’ve always used the Dewey 1 piece fiberglass rods w/ ball bearing handle because that’s what Dad used & it’s what I learned with. I’ve used (and bent😦)sectional rods (brass & aluminum) in my nieve earlier years. The Dewey’s are fairly indestindestructible & easy on the weapon.

7 Likes

Have to check that one out, thanks @LonewolfMcQuade!!

6 Likes

What are you using now?

5 Likes

P.S., I did get all the crap stuffed back in to the Otis pouch.

5 Likes

I’ve got one of those, really nice kit. I’ve also got the big Otis kit.

10 Likes

Just a field and stream…nothing spectacular but does the job

5 Likes

Looks nice bud

6 Likes

I like Otis products i use the ripcord on a lot of my guns.

9 Likes

I also use my boresnakes and a tackle box

7 Likes

7 Likes

10 Likes

Ive had numerous kits over the years but frankly I never found one do it all worth the money.
I use this and frankly am impressed with the wicks and how well they do.
They get right down into the grooves and drag stuff out.
The chain has a large eye to feed the wicks through on one end, and drag the brushes through as well.

But I still keep a rod and handle for my bronze brushes.
The chain in the kit is the most handy and the wicks you can pick up for 10 to 20 a thousand.
The whole kit is still handy as field kit and small for a pocket or buttpack.
Kit goes anywhere from 5-7 bucks.
West German G3 Cleaning kit.

Made for 7.62 but will work most likely to 7mm. 6.5 it is too big.

8 Likes

We’re supposed to clean our guns :gasp:

8 Likes

I have something similar to that, usually take to the range because it’s pretty compact and easy to use

6 Likes

I’ve got an Otis 556,30 and 50. Use them all the time!

7 Likes

I got my first Otis cleaning kit back in 90s before they got popular and then became “Issued” for Army. Now I have probably 9 different ones. From 22 to 12 Ga. The early container ( pouches) didn’t last to long the big black pouch (issued) is substandard quality. The "Hockey Puck ones have been good. On to the kit it’s self I like the brushes and most of it now I’ve not got quite the number of uses for the patches. Don’t even think that the cable can or will tap out a stuck case. Been there the only time I went to range without a cleaning rod it happened. In my moves I’ve mis-placed my good S.S. cleaning rod. But most of time I just use a pull though any way. I don’t think any one cleaning kit does it all the best. Then I have and do use Carb cleaner at times too.

7 Likes