Outdoor family dog

Anyone keep an outdoor dog?

Not thinking for hunting really

Curious if it’ll need much, or if breed matters

Rather not pay a rehoming fee, free is nice, I know vet checkups may cost some which is fine

Want it to run or bike with, bark when people pull up, companionship, protection maybe

Don’t have a fence, have cables, tie it up, maybe try to teach it boundaries of property etc

8 Likes

We have Great Pyrenees on the farm. They stay outside 98.8% of the time.

9 Likes

We had Great Pyrenees growing up. They stayed outside. If you went out at night you would definitely run into one on patrol. We had Border Collies too. Sons and a few brothers still do, I don’t. They seem to need to work at herding to be happiest. Great people dogs but the shedding is a bit much for inside. Super smart and high energy.

Pyrenees seem to be pretty happy working too. Their work seems to be guarding their charges and just being one of pack. Very protective, I agree with @shooterrex they are about the perfect outside dog.

8 Likes

We had outdoor dogs before but now We want them inside with us . We have two in the house now and they alert when ever someone pulls in the drive .

8 Likes

My Airedale lives indoors but LOVES to be outdoors. Snow is his favorite thing. Hard coat that burrs and burdock pull right out of easily. Loves the water, too. Really - just wants to be with us no matter what we are doing.

He goes with me for woods walks (off leash) and I grouse hunt with him but he is neither a pointer nor retriever. To be fair I never tried to train him to either. Just tag along. Though he does find them. Does not run deer or squirrel, but chipmunks are full focus. Happily they don’t travel very far. Rabbits are like cats. They run, so they need to be chased.

11 Likes

interesting breeds. I am thinking free like free from the pound but idk - may get close to some of those breeds, but purebread sounds expensive and thus prohibitive. Looking for something that doesn’t cut into my gun or truck budget too much :slight_smile: Not that I won’t love the dog, its just easier to convince the wife when there’s little $ involved kinda like the stray cat we may start feeding LOL

7 Likes

Gotta say I appreciate the responses, a couple of people thought I had 3 heads in another forum not to be mentioned and I think I stood my ground about dogs and their place. I appreciate dogs as one of God’s creatures but some people think dogs are people too lol

6 Likes

Dogs are not people.
They’re better than that. :smiley:

8 Likes

A good dog is worth any four guns. :wink: Guns don’t guard the house when you are at work or keep you company. And, with an outdoor dog, they will make sure you are getting some exercise. A tired dog is a non-destructive dog.

9 Likes

AMEN. The new pup is PROVING that fact daily.

8 Likes

Wow, ain’t that the truth!

7 Likes

DD is an outside dog, her bark is worse than her bite though. i don’t know if anyone could make her bite them.

8 Likes

very good lookin pup. She wear that hat often? lol

8 Likes

Her favorite is the make America great again hat

9 Likes

any thoughts on obtaining a dog? pay the re-homing fee or is that nonsense - what does that do? Craigslist maybe free, maybe a puppy but outdoors - nah

5 Likes

The pooch in the wicker chair is clearly suffering from the outdoor life. Only two cushions?

5 Likes

Most breeds have some sort of rescue organization. Maybe worth looking at afew. Here is one for the Great Pyrenees.

6 Likes

And she had just had her hair done. We get their winter coats cut off in the spring. Trimmed down to about 1/2". Their fur gets about 4" long between haircuts.

6 Likes

Lol shear 'em like sheep. Helps to have a kiddy pool for them too.

6 Likes

They have 4 ponds to play in. They catch and eat frogs.

6 Likes