[P226] Worth a shot...

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place for this.

Anyone have tooling to complete an 80% P226 they would be willing to loan or rent? I broke down and got sucked into a sale that Matrix had on frames. I don’t imagine I would build more than one of these, so I’d like to avoid buying these if possible. What I am in need of specifically are the drilling jig (I have drill bits) and the car/hold-down hardware/.121 cutters for the rail cutter. I’d be willing to put down a deposit for full replacement value that is refundable upon return (minus any rental charge). Terms can be negotiated.

If you can help me out, great! If not, wish me luck! :rofl:

7 Likes

I wish that I could help. I’ve done a number of Matrix Precision builds and I’m a huge fan of their stuff, but I use a mill instead of their jigs. I’ve always wanted to get one of their rail cutters, but could never justify the expense for something I wouldn’t use. I do wish you luck though!

Also, be careful. You say that you’ll only do one, but these builds are addictive.

9 Likes

Thanks, man. I say only one of the P22x variety, but I’m addicted to building. IF there is another in my future, it would probably be the P229, but I’m seriously doubting that at this point. I’ve done 2 of the P320s and assembled one P365 (no 80% frames available for those yet) and will do another once JSD comes out with the frame, if ever. Boatloads of Polymer80 Glock-offs and ARs. I have about 10 1911 frames squirreled away in anticipation of not being able to get them any longer without going through an FFL. I’d like to do an AK as well, but it’s the tooling/jigs situation again and I know squat about them.

7 Likes

I will take a look. I have sold some jigs a while ago but cannot remember which ones. Back then Matrix was only doing 229 frames but i believe the jig is the same.

7 Likes

Thanks, I’d appreciate it. The drilling jigs are different for the 226 and the 229, but the rail cutter parts are the same.

7 Likes

If you are talking about the drilling jig, it depends on the locking block. I would not use a P228/P229 drill jig for a P226. I think, don’t quote me, that the P226 takedown lever is somewhere between 0.137" - 0.140" further forward of the P229.

9 Likes

Got it. I completely missed the hole drilling jig sode of things. Lol.

7 Likes

Any luck on this?

8 Likes

Sorry, can’t find it so i must have sold it.

7 Likes

Nah, not yet. Holding out hope, but it’s getting thin. Still worth a try. Good bunch of guys here.

6 Likes

I found some stuff. Can’t remember which is which anymore… The 229 drilling jig was in the box, so I assume the car and hold-down may also be for the 229…

5 Likes

The car and hold-down is universal, just the drilling jigs are model specific. That’s my understanding, anyway. Their website only mentions the 220/229, but the ones they sell show P22X on the car itself and the kit that comes with the car works for 226. Would you happen to have the .121 cutters as well?

5 Likes

I have the jig body with a car and feed screw but no end cap…
The opening in the car measures about .900" wide so I assume it is not for 1911s. EDIT: Just checked my own videos. The car is for a Sig
I have a few cutters but all measure .117-.118"
The frame hold down I believe is correct…

I will add a pic once my phone charges.

EDIT#2: pic

6 Likes

Hmm, that looks a lot different compared to what they currently sell. If it worked for the 229 I would think it would also work for the 226, IF the car works with the current rail cutter body they use. I’m guessing that rail cutter body was the same one you used for 1911s, just with a different car?

Here’s the current car they sell. I’m thinking it’s so different in order to accommodate the P220. 220/229 Replacement Car For 229/1911 Combo Rail Cutter Only — MATRIX PRECISION

5 Likes

Remember that I did this a while ago. Before the jigs got fancy.
I also don’t think I have the combo rail cutter and not sure how it differs from non-combo jig.

But it looks like I sold my 1911 jig (complete) though I am at a loss why I have no sig rail cutters and only have 1911 cutters left.

Here is a video where I show transferring some stuff to this jig from a 1911 jig:

5 Likes

Dang it, I don’t think those parts will work for me. I have the combo rail cutter…I think the car sizes are different for it than they were previously. I’ll reach out to Matrix to see what they say.

I’ve been second guessing my choice of the P226 over the P229 as well. If I end up having to buy the car kit, I may just consider doing both.

I really do appreciate you pulling that stuff out. I’ll let you know what I find out from Matrix.

4 Likes

Is that video not on your Juxxi channel?

5 Likes

I didn’t even know full30 became Juxxi
Plus it is not playing for me.

5 Likes

Now you have to come over and help me organize my shop space.

Your challenge is to fit a lot of stuff into very little space.

Lol.

4 Likes

Ha, we have the same problems! Once I get it figured out here, I’ll come over and help you with yours. Now, if I can just find someone to refurbish my stairs… :rofl:

I have a message in to Matrix and am awaiting an answer. After watching your video (on Juxxi! :yep:) I am having renewed hope. The new combo rail cutters are the longer format like the old Sig jig that you have. We’ll see what they say.

5 Likes