[P226] Worth a shot...

This is all new software so were surely wanting to tune it, do you have an adblock?

There are ads before the video, please see if thats an issue for you.

5 Likes

BTW @Mosinvirus I thing this reads none as you need to set your channel description and image

5 Likes

@Robert, i will definitely take a look.

5 Likes

Heard back from Matrix, they said the car should work. Sometimes the fit is tight but the car can be fitted. My rail cutter and the old Sig rail cutter are the same length.

As for the cutters, I’m thinking about using the cutters I have and filing the rest with my rail file since we’re talking about aluminum and a few thousandths off the bottom of the rail channel cut. What do you think about the feasibility of that idea?

5 Likes

What size cutters did @Mosinvirus use in his video? It might be so close that you would want to use a stone instead of a file. Assuming that you have a stone that you don’t mind gumming up on aluminum.

7 Likes

Good call, he said in the vid that the Sig rail cutter came with the .117 cutters, so I should be good to go. All he did after was slightly chamfer the bottom edge of the cut on the frame.

5 Likes

I messaged Matrix back. My frame hasn’t shipped yet, so I have requested that they change it from a 226 to a 229. Waiting to see what they say.

4 Likes

Which mag well did you request?

6 Likes

I didn’t, just said the 229 frame. Should I have gone with the 229 w/226 magwell? Mag compatibility? I know squat about this line of Sigs. I need to study up.

5 Likes

You have three options. The P229 frame with an E2 (P229-1) magwell, the P229 frame with a classic P228 magwell, and the P229 Frame with a P226 Magwell.

Do not confuse the P228 frame with the P229 frame that has a classic P228 magwell. They are separate options.

6 Likes

The P229 E2 (P229-1) frame allows for higher capacity (in 9mm) over the standard/classic P228/P229 magwell and is easier to convert between calibers. If you plan to use 40 S&W or 357 SIG, or multi caliber swaps on the same frame; then this is the frame for you.

The P229 with the classic P228 magwell uses older P228 magazines and can also run P226 magazines on the same frame. This is a slick set-up with an X-Grip mag adapter. You can keep a slightly lower profile with P228 magazines and switch over to higher capacity P226 magazines with a reload. The balance on the P229 with an Elite slide is very nice.

The P229 with the P226 magwell makes for a good appendix carry if you have the right holster. The advantage here is high capacity, on tap, with only a slight increase in grip length. Really good for people with large hands, too.

6 Likes

Great comparison of the different configurations. Thank you!

5 Likes

…and, of coarse, you still have the P220, P226, and P228 frame options.

6 Likes

Thanks, I tried to keep it concise. It gets a little complicated, because each option has a little bit of overlap and some quarks that can be leveraged if you know about them.

One example is for a person who plans to do caliber swaps between 9mm, 40 SW, and 357 SIG would be advised to pick up a slide for a 40 SW or a 357 SIG. You could then buy a custom (I don’t think that Sig Sauer makes one) 9mm barrel and switch between all three calibers with only a barrel, magazine, and recoil spring swap, instead of changing over whole slide assemblies. The 40 SW and 357 SIG use the same recoil spring and magazine, so changing between those two calibers is just a barrel change.

6 Likes

One other thing to look out for on these builds is the Locking Insert type. Make sure that the Locking Insert is compatible with your frame selection.

5 Likes

I requested a change in order since it hadn’t shipped but never heard back. I just received shipping notification for the P226. Can’t complain as that’s what I ordered originally, I just wish they had checked email and at least responded that they couldn’t change the order since it was three days ago. Oh well.

4 Likes

So what is the consensus on these jig parts on my bench?

Need them, or no?

4 Likes

All I can use is the car and hold down hardware. I was hoping they would change my order so that I could also use the drilling jig. I’ll PM you.

4 Likes

Is the drill jig the only thing holding you up on the P226?

5 Likes

I’ll just have to buy it. I was hoping to avoid doing that for one build, but it is what it is. If @Mosinvirus sends the 229 drilling jig, it might force me to build one of those as well. :rofl:

I don’t mind buying specialized tools and jigs that are going to be used a lot and I’ve bought a lot of that kind of stuff. I hate buying something that will be used once is all, but then I’ll have one that others can use if they ever need it. I’ve done that with my AR and 1911 jigs locally and I’ve shipped my MUP-1 jig around.

4 Likes