Pinning an AR15 barrel, and accuracy.

Hey everyone!
I just wanted to cover pinning a barrel to make a 16” over all length when using a 14.5 or shorter barrel.

I cut down a CHF barrel down to 14” and re threaded for 1/2x20.

I cut an 11degree target crown on the muzzle because… it was already in the lathe and apparently 11 degrees is the magic accuracy number.
I measured the fresh cut barrel and noted that I needed a 2.20” muzzle device for the proper length. I’m shooting for 16-2/16”

I wanted something a little different so I cut longitude for the brake ports.

Time to blue the part.

It was toughest to get the color close to the nitride barrel.

I made the pin to be .095 x.250.

Tig welding is the way to go. It makes the job quick with out possibly hurting the barrel.
Just a touch of bluing protect the surface.

Don’t forget to clock the muzzle device properly.

As for the upper receiver, you can lap the surface in. I made a quick lapping jig.

220 grit is the ticket.

Here you can see at the 1 o’clock position that the receiver will definitely be a productive service.

Clean out ALL lapping compound thoroughly. Use a little aeroshell on the barrel but, and put some loctite 620 on the barrel extension.

Try to clean all excess and torque the barrel nut. Hang the upper muzzle down and leave it over night.
Now you can re pin the upper and lower and enjoy!

14 Likes

Very nice.

7 Likes

Thank you @Mister_Torgue!

6 Likes

I’m always mesmerized at the work some of you all can do. :cowboy_hat_face:

8 Likes

I really appreciate the way the process was captured through pics. Very nicely done making that muzzle device from scratch.

Great job as usual!!!

9 Likes

Thank you @Mosinvirus! Just trying to do different stuff. You know how it is.

6 Likes

All very incredible!

7 Likes

Thank you @Robert!

6 Likes

At this point I was like, wait… whaaaaaat??? :grinning:

Very nicely done. And agree with @Mosinvirus about your telling the story through pics.

5 Likes

Ha! Yeah what can I say… I’m a cheap ass! :joy:

4 Likes

I got to put everything back together today. Here is what it looks like.

I really appreciate all your support on this kind of stuff. I really wish I had more time to be here to be honest.

11 Likes

or shooting :grin:

7 Likes

Yeah I’m still praying on that one.

5 Likes

I think it turned out wonderfully.
Have you done any compensators?

Also, does the red dot co-witness with the irons?

9 Likes

Thank you @Mosinvirus!

I made one for @MikeBlack47 for his AK47. He wanted one that didn’t make people next to him on the firing line def, so I angled the ports slightly forward.
Making a brake
Mike in return put up the videos of it performing.

Yes the red dot does co witness with the iron sights. It is a 1/3 co witness so the lower 1/3 of the red dot has the iron sights. This makes for a much less congested sight picture, and I highly recommend it if your using a fixed front sight with a red dot.

9 Likes

Excellent work on that AK47 brake as well!

8 Likes

Thank you @Mosinvirus!

5 Likes

And for those of you that want to hear me ramble on about it.

8 Likes

As always @switchpod wonderful work
I have been wanting to further my lathe skills but have been so swamped with work latley and family stuff it’s been in the back burner

6 Likes

Yeah @Giantspeed unfortunately messing around on a lathe chews up a lot of time, or at least in my case it does.

4 Likes