Played with some lead today

Loaded some .38 SPL for my wife’s S&W model 60 today. Never loaded lead before, only jacketed. Picked up some Magnus #513 125 gr. rnfp from a guy that gave up loading. Used 3 gr. of HP38. Should be going to the range next weekend to see how they shoot. My daughter will be in town so it will be fun no matter how they shoot.She’s bringing some girls from school. Probably liberals. I’m curious to see how they react to a trip to the range.

9 Likes

Well, I think Pop that most people generally seem to have a positive reaction.
I have loaded lead for years. Used to only use prelubed purchased lead bullets from beartooth bullets. When he unfortunately folded shop . I decided to start making my own was worried after buying pot and lead, bullet molds etc… that they wouldnt turn .well i was delightfully wrong. I love it the satisfaction was huge

8 Likes

My oldest shoots. Thats your Super Smart daughter correct ? You sound like a proud papa as you should be. Post pics. Might make interesting fodder for grip hold comments etcetera.

7 Likes

Son and granddaughters

10 Likes

Well, here’s daughter and mom at the range a yr ago or so.

And here she is not at the range.

9 Likes

The same (but snipped) could be written for me too.

I always thought it was alchemy but it’s easy and worth learning.

At this time I only cast for .300BLK and 9mm. Since I cast outdoors it keeps me busy enough since the day needs to be w/o much wind (propane burner) and not too hot. I cast when I can and when I can’t I coat the bullets and size them. Pretty much coat and size in the fall in our rainy season.

Good for you Pop! Convert 'em to good folks who are actually good for something!

9 Likes

Mom have a J frame?

6 Likes

Is your daughter holding a S&W M&P ?

7 Likes

She small enough she cant shoulder and see the sights. …she must really have fun with that.

6 Likes

lol, one reason I built a AR pistol with a 7.5” barrel. With the .22LR conversion kit and adjustable brace it’s perfect for the kids to shoot>

8 Likes

I don’t know why every .22 I’ve seen for kids has a stock designed for an adult

8 Likes

That T cup handgun grip needs to go.

8 Likes

Keystone Cricket has kid size guns. They even come in pink. Savage also makes a small 22 for kids.

8 Likes

Yeah ya beat me to it. New England firearms also make youth model rifles that are single shot . For when they are ready for bigger calibers also great for smaller women.

7 Likes

Robert, that’s a S&W model 60. Pretty old. I think they make one just like it with a different designation now. As for the 22, it’s a Walther P22. It gave a lot of trouble till I sent it to the factory and they changed a few things in it. Works flawlessly now. It was mine till she fell in love with it so now I have the S&W M&P 22 compact and really like it.

9 Likes

Good shootin folks, range day is always a good day

8 Likes

The number one mistake new folks to lead boolits is they get undersized ones. This causes leading. You boolits should always be .001-.002 over sized of YOUR bore. Which means you have to do a chamber casting to see the real bore size you are dealing with.

Second thing is veggie wads, .030 work well on all straight walled cases.
They shield the base of the boolit for the fast burning powder which can leave lead streaks in the barrel.

6 Likes

See she is shooting at perp target :grin: :+1:t6:
Good Job Grandpa thats great training for a young lady

6 Likes

She turned 18 back in July Grandpa gave her a AR-15 and a Glock19 for her birthday

7 Likes

Her older brother got the same. All built on 80% lowers. Got 6 more grandkids to follow. Lord willing and I am able all will get the same!

7 Likes