Poll Best home defense for new gun owner?

I agree with @MusashiAharon and @JohnB. My first choice would be a .38 Special revolver and my second choice would be a .20ga shotgun. @58marine had a good idea also…double-barrel coach gun with external hammers (also .20ga).

All three options are easy to operate, safer to handle than a semi-auto, have manageable recoil, and less damaging to eardrums.

10 Likes

Personally, I’d go with a couple of those highly skilled smokin hot IDF female soldiers for home defe…pretty much anything around the house.

10 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Always working the angles aren’t you, you old dog!

5 Likes

My woman would not be ok with that, I might get scalped then bitch slapped with a tamohawk.

6 Likes

@Quick_Draw_Mcgraw

I have shot a fair number of .357 magnum handguns, though I am not as good a shot as you, apparently. Still, your quote of my comments leaves off the “or higher capacity” justification for a rifle. But, I do agree with your comment about lever guns - of which I am a big fan (including .357 magnum lever guns, among others).

8 Likes

@SteelPinger

If it weren’t for the difficulty in finding a 7 or 8-shot revolver in .38 special (versus .357 mag - which is fairly easy to find in 7 or 8 shot capacity), I would agree with .38 special as a choice. I typically just put .38 special or .38 special +P, in my .357 magnum revolvers anyway.

Also, I agree with using 20 gauge instead of 12 gauge, for self defense.

Not sure about having the exposed hammers as that could set you up for trouble if:

1. you don’t cock the hammers but get surprised by the perp and have to shoot asap
  2. you forget to cock the hammers in advance of needing the gun to shoot, and now it is time to shoot and all you hear is “click”
  3. some courts might look at your action of cocking the hammers right before shooting as meaning you had time to escape or take alternative actions - either of which could mean legal trouble for you (and no, I am not a lawyer)
  4. would the shotgun with external hammers have a safety ? if not, then, you could actually be walking around with the gun ready to fire - so, what about the trigger pull - could it be considered too light? If so, you could be accused of unintentional firing of your gun (with possible disastrous effects) (again, I am not a lawyer, but look into these points if you want to see what the experts say about them)

Regarding the semiauto shotgun - I can see it both ways (better or more dangerous), for the new shooter.

10 Likes

Its called single double action. Pull the trigger
Being raised on 1911s, I always pull the hammer back on the Sig 45. Its just habit.

All over this forum I say, I am a rifleman. Dont like handguns, have no use for them.
Ive shot the Mrs 357 once, to see if it works.
When you been shooting for over 50 years, you kinda get the feel of it.
I consider the 45 a shooter out to 75-100 yards. The 357, point blank to 10 feet. Different tools for different jobs.

6 Likes

.357 as a round is more accurate than .45 though, right? Maybe its just me but it seems much straight shooting.

6 Likes

@Caw

Just guessing, I would agree. Faster rounds tend to be more accurate over the same distances.

6 Likes

Scalped? Think lower …

7 Likes
6 Likes

:grimacing: …what exactly happened to @mquinn55 ?

7 Likes

“Loose lips sink ships”?

9 Likes

He’s fine. Just busy. He hasn’t been scalped, anyway. :joy:

10 Likes

Tactical folding walker.
(on a shotgun)

7 Likes

Carbine version of an AR-15 pattern rifle. So easy, a fucking idiot swamper colonel can use it on fully semi-automatic.

4 Likes

So you’re saying i have a chance? :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

BCA shipped my upper yesterday.
:yep:

Now to find ammo. If my family was still speaking to my uncle i could hit him up for 2k easy. He wouldn’t blink. :ammo: :ammo: :ammo:

8 Likes

Depends in whos hands. Ive done the 100 yard gong with several 45s, never tired it with a 357.
Hit the 200 yard gong with a 44 mag, was easy.

10 Likes

Things like a walking stick or folding walkers can be a very effective long-range defensive tool.

, the author demonstrates the starting position from which
the stick can be used as a shield and strike weapon.
I think the safest self-defense tool is the one you carry on you at all times. The “best” weapon for self-defense is the one that is in your hand when you need it.

7 Likes