Portable “range” targets and stands

Ok, all you creative peeps, help me solve a problem. I’m looking for target ideas that can be easily set up and taken down. We have a spot in the desert that we go to but we haul everything in and out. Setting up takes longer than shooting and we’re wore out before we even get started. So I need your ideas for targets and stands that are cheap and portable. Also it gets windy so they need to be stable and of course sturdy since shit happens and things get shot up. It’s super rocky hard ground so digging is not really an option.

5 Likes

6 Likes

When I shoot out back I set up a Caldwell portable stand.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/528905/caldwell-ultimate-target-stand-polymer?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Shooting+-+Targets&utm_content=528905&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google--Shooting±+Targets--Caldwell-_-528905&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2caq0qG_4QIVVFgNCh1oOQZkEAQYAiABEgIQmfD_BwE

3 Likes

That’s cool. Thanks

3/8" AR500 12x20 Modular Target System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y6HRTCV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_IaQQCb0F3XCBC

Screenshot_20190407-211536

2 Likes

Less expensive would be @mquinn55 holding beer cans for you to shoot at. He’s portable, He’s easy, & he’s cheap, he’s everything you said you were looking for in a target stand…

3 Likes

Lol, Except for that sturdy part where shit happens and things get shot up. He’s sturdy, but I doubt he’d stand up to that.

3 Likes

Yea, you’re probably right…

3 Likes

Son bought the plate + welded the stand.
Got the plate here. Cheap.
https://metals.shopjfi.com/?l=Wall

3 Likes

Yeah. I’m more of a .22 portable target. Can’t take that hi caliber stuff.

2 Likes

:joy:

I’ve built some out of PVC that work well for paper targets. I don’t glue the pieces together in case something gets shot. Then you just replace that/those pieces. They’re lightweight and easy to carry…especially if you’re going to shoot a long way away from your truck lol.
Has feet on the bottom you can throw weights on if it’s windy…cause you know, the AZ desert is easy to pound stuff into the ground too…if you have a jackhammer :wink:

2 Likes

Did Mr Quinn say he couldn’t take the hi-fiber stuff or hi-caliber, just saying, fiber at the range usually means fewer targets. I dunno. Do they have much of a problem like this in CA?

2 Likes

Targets USA has some good stand setups.

I’ve had a bit too much fiber of late.
I’d tell you about it but I gotta run.

2 Likes

Those things crop up from time to time, like they are just chasing ya Fiber is risky business.

1 Like

What about the shooting trees? Check out Hickok45 ’ s videos - he makes frequent use of one - cool stuff.

2 Likes

I use old real estate signs. You’d be surprised how easy they are to find. Not the newer wireframe ones, but the old ones used back in the day with a steel frame. I use self stick 8" Caldwell targets on cardboard in the middle from old Amazon and appliance boxes. No need to peel the old ones off, just stick new over old until the cardboard is completely shredded. I can get four targets on one sign which amounts to less walking back and forth to refresh them, especially when you use two or more signs (I only use 8 targets or less each range session). Just be sure to use masking tape as the self stick targets just ain’t what they used to be.

This idea works for me, but could be problematic if the ground is too hard to drive the sign legs in without bending. If that’s the case you could prop them up with rocks or even weld/bolt a couple steel bars on the bottom so they’d stand on their own. The things are remarkably light and easy to transport. I prep mine before heading out so I don’t have to mess with them when I get to my shooting area.

Best of luck finding a solution.

3 Likes

We use to use these targets I came up with in the early 90s. They worked great for any caliber and gave you good feedback.

3 Likes

Did I mention it’s the desert? Trees are non-existent.