Powder and static electricity

Not the explosive type, but looking for suggestions on how to keep the powder from clinging to the powder funnel when filling cases. It was pretty cold here today and i was loading some 44 spec… Using only 5.2 gr of powder sometimes about 10-20 “specs” would cling to the funnel. I know that’s not much, but I’d rather none stuck. I tried grounding the funnel to the ground, poking my finger into the powder, and taking off my synthetic jacket. Any suggestions?

6 Likes

Wipe funnel with dryer sheets.

6 Likes

This will sound crazy, but wipe the inside or the outside? I don’t want to contaminate the powder. Maybe I’m being a little too careful.

4 Likes

Both if you want. Not going to hurt the powder at all.

4 Likes

Thanks. I haven’t reloaded since the 70s and I’m just starting to get back into it. Back then I was stupid and didn’t even think about safety. Now I have to because I can be a little absent minded and really need to concentrate so I don’t blow myself up.

4 Likes

I know that when you load black powder you use a brass funnel to avoid static.

6 Likes

Actual black powder is an explosive.
If you’ve ever gotten a shock from closing your car door when the air is low humidity, that little spark can cause black powder to ignite.
The best thing to happen to ammunition was the invention of so called smokeless powder.

4 Likes

Just a question, I doubt that a brass funnel will hold a static charge. Does anyone make a metal funnel for smokeless powder? That should get rid of the OPs problem.

I just answered my own question. Yup, they’re made. Satern (not a typo) and Lyman both make one.

5 Likes

I use the brass pan from my beam scale on my digital scale. The plastic pan that came with the digital has powder stick due to static electricity sometimes.

3 Likes

thanks everyone. Looks like I’ll look for a metal funnel. That looks like the simplest way to go.

2 Likes