Powder Coating cast bullets

Interesting stuff. I might play with it. Didn’t see an application method

9 Likes

I don’t remember the details. He added a small quantity to the powder coat. But he also applied the powder coat wet. Since you haven’t used it… I have no idea how this stuff would be in the lungs if it got through a mask if applied dry (I’d want a really good one).

10 Likes

Also do you have to cast the bullets smaller? does the powder coat add to the dimensions?

12 Likes

Ok i’ll stop with the stupid questions cause i know yall sayin you don’t even reload so go away.

10 Likes

No, because I know even less than you do, and sooner or later I will try to reload. So keep asking so I don’t have to.

11 Likes

How does one learn if questions aren’t asked?

Well, it’s got to add something to the size, but it’s ignored. Or at least I never saw it discussed as being meaningful. Just cast as normal and run it through the sizer as though the coating didn’t exist. The coating acts as lube when they go through the sizer so I’ve been told. The coating is bonded to the lead so it stays on the bullet. Or it’s supposed to be bonded to the lead. If it comes off something is wrong with ones process and it needs to be fixed.

12 Likes

I have never fired more than 50-75 lead bullets at any one time and never had any leading issues, I just use hard cast ingots when I cast my own. Pre-cast bullets are cheap so I never fooled with scrap lead, I did pick up about 5lbs. of stuff from the berms at range one time to melt it down and use but never did.

9 Likes

With coated bullets the users are finding that the lead can be much softer w/o issues and velocity can be pushed higher. Tin is expensive whether it’s bought already alloyed or added to the pot. If it doesn’t need to be added that’s a good thing. Coatings are much less expensive than tin. Think of coating as an inexpensive jacket or copper plating.

11 Likes

I had clumps of powder when I tumbled and agitated them. I found I was using far to much powder. Just dollar store containers marked with the 5 recycle code, 200 9mm 125 gr bullets, and a tablespoon of powder is all it takes.

11 Likes

You size your bullets after you powder coat

10 Likes

Like @BrianK Said it’s just a cheap and easy jacket to apply. You avoid b the down side of using lead bullets. You also don’t have to worry so much about using a precise alloy out use any at all. Scrap lead and powder coat is all you need.

9 Likes

Good topic @MAC82 :+1:

9 Likes

OK my turn for a dumb question, would powder coating eliminate the need for a gas check. See I do pay attention.

10 Likes

Mac82 is on call for this one. I could BS you but I just won’t. I think I remember what I read but I can’t be sure.

FWIW my source for all things cast bullets is the “Cast Boolit” forum and that includes their powder coating gurus.

I do remember that for me with my 300BLK that someone told me that sometimes a gas check can enhance accuracy with subsonic ammo so I have a few k on hand. But in general? That’s up to Mac82.

9 Likes

I have run a few round balls in 3 or 4 different sizes, don’t guess that counts as reloading.

9 Likes

I was just curious, not much I shoot is hot enough to need a gas check

9 Likes

Great question. The simple answer is, I don’t know. I gas check rifle bullets. I would suspect that gas cutting can still occur with powder coated bullets? I haven’t done enough testing nor do I suspect I will. Mold aren’t cheap and I don’t want to spend my time doing all that testing. I do spend time testing loads but cast bullets are a money saver for me not another research opportunity currently. Castboolits forum is an excellent resource for that question.

11 Likes

I did the wet coat method the other day. Yes, it had heating and cooling cycles but it was easy and fast. The gear I used was minimal, from an old used toaster/broiler to no longer used HD poly freezer containers to coat and agitate the bullets. I do an extra step and that’s to put the coated bullets in a mini ice cube tray that holds 160 of them and at the moment I only have 2 trays. But I’ll soon be able to bake 320 bullets in a load. It was pretty easy. I liked it so much, for simplicity, no special gear required, and how easy it was that I ordered more powder (Hi-Tek) to make sure I don’t need to have back ordered items the next time the left decides to burn cities.

Oh, and I did the solvent and smash tests and they passed.

Last night I sized all of them. And yes, the coating is quite slick. My old fingers don’t like them very much. :laughing: Too bad. They’ll just need to learn to handle them.

More on gas checks… Well, maybe reduce the need for them, so I have read. One gent is loading a coated .308 bullet to 2500fps with no leading, 4.5" groups out to 500 yards and no GC. Coating acts very much like a copper jacket and I’ve read lots of posts that state if there are velocity limits that the writer didn’t know of any. That with no special hard alloys.

Mac, have you run into any velocity limits with your PC bullets? I ask because if I do I won’t find out for quite some time, until I load for .308. For now I’m just using it for 9mm and 300BLK and I’ll be busy with that for quite awhile.

7 Likes

I haven’t used any powder coated rifle bullets yet.

7 Likes

I’ve shot thousands that were professionally coated. They work fine. That’s what prompted me to go that route. I’ve also shot a few k greasy ones and the difference in smoke is night and day. They both worked fine otherwise. But I prefer no smoke. Should be better through a can too since the lead is fully encapsulated.

I did another 580 today. That’s enough for now. That’s plenty for testing.

7 Likes