Priest Ordination Statistics

I got an email earlier sharing an ordination ceremony, there are some interesting facts/ statistics, since its new to me I thought it might be to others as well, I’ve never been to one or personally knew anyone who did so figured I’d share

• 458 men are expected to be ordained across the USA this year.
  • 81% will be for dioceses, and 19% for religious orders.
  • On average, 16 years old was when they first considered a vocation to the priesthood (half was between 3 and 15 years old and the other half between
    15 and 56 years old).
  • The average age at ordination is 33.
  • 25% of ordinandi were born abroad, from 23 different countries.
  • 11% were homeschooled, and this number is expected to rise to 14% next year.
  • 42% entered seminary with at least one undergraduate degree, and 16% entered with a master’s or a doctorate degree.
  • 7% of ordinandi are converts from Protestantism, eastern religions, and even atheism.
  • 96% of ordinandi were raised by their biological parents.
  • 73% regularly practiced eucharistic adoration, 66% regularly prayed the rosary, and 45% regularly participated in prayer groups and Bible studies.
  • 72% served as altar servers.
  • The top 5 encouraging influencers for considering the priesthood were (in descending order): their parish priest, a parishioner, a friend, mother, father.
  • The top 5 discouraging influencers from considering the priesthood were (in descending order): a family member (other than parent), a friend or schoolmate, mother, father, a colleague or coworker.
7 Likes

I have been to one Catholic ordination. It was for my oldest brother. He is 10 years older than me and went to the seminary right out of high school. So, I was 8 at that time. He was a diocesan priest for 5 years before he decided that he wanted to be married to a woman instead. He would likely still be a priest if he could have been maried at the same time. However, he could not do like others and have someone on the side while remaining a priest. He has ethics and morals and could not make a mockery of the priesthood, even if others do. He has been married for almost 35 years at this point.

8 Likes

I doubt anyone faults him for his decision, marriage is a sacrament itself so he’s still living a godly life as far as I can see :slightly_smiling_face:

:clap:

8 Likes

It took many years, but he and his wife did eventually get their marriage blessed by the church.

8 Likes

Yikes, they faced some resistance?

7 Likes

Leaving the priesthood and getting married to a parishioner the next day in the courthouse is frowned upon.

7 Likes

I bet that caused a lot of rumors and questions…

5 Likes

lol, as people we can rumor and question the color of socks people wear :grin:

Once upon a time the White Sox may have been a :rainbow: team :grin:

3 Likes