Quality vs junk AR15 parts

Hahhahahhaa yeah, I would not want to live in Tacoma… but I am moving to Port Angeles so there is that… hahhahaha

4 Likes

I might get removed or even banned for bringing up this older thread… but i mine as well try.
I can tell you certainly have a good knowledge base on firearms, and i would like to ask how many CZ’s you see come in with problems? I love the CZ platform and will most likely purchase a czp01 here soon. thank you

3 Likes

I do not see a lot come in. But I have Cerakoted a few of them. Not impressed with quality control.

3 Likes

Yessir, the very best way to avoid failure is to have a spare.
Works every time.
When I regularly competed in the action pistol games, I always had a spare one in the truck.
Never had a single failure.

3 Likes

Spare guns, spare parts… spare ammo… hahhahaha

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Newbie Q’s

I still hold the same stance on this though. If yiu buy quality, the likelihood of needing a spare is GREATLY reduced.
When a fail zero BCG will run at a machine gun range for 80K rounds… and a Spikes Tactial failed at 20K… and they were HAPPY about that… what would you much rather run?

8 Likes

Here is a great product that works… KYNshot…
Hydraulic buffers.
I’m now running one in my personal LWRC and yes, it does make a difference.

6 Likes

How does it work and why is it better?

6 Likes

One of the top few most unreliable problem causing parts ever made for the AR platform.

6 Likes

@jtallen83 I take it you don’t care for them?

The concept seems like it would work. Not sure it lives up to the claims. No experience with them at all so I don’t know enough to say anything.

6 Likes

The JP silent spring has been the smoothest I have used and the A5 probably the sturdiest.

6 Likes

We run A5s mostly, all have AGBs. As far as improving accuracy I think the trigger is the thing that gets you the most… The triggers all are good, but may go to Triggertech rollers on 2 of them.

5 Likes

The snazy hydraulic type buffers just show up causing issues. You can search the archives of 308AR and find many a rifle that miraculously started functioning when they are replaced with the standard parts at the right rates and weights. I don’t dispute that they smooth up the action when they work, if you want that race gun feel go for it, just realize it’s a race gun.

8 Likes

Someone over there says don’t complicate shit with complicated shit.

7 Likes

Haven’t heard anything bad about the captured spring type units causing issues. Thinking about the Armaspec for the 224 CLE builds.

6 Likes

I totally have to agree with that statement for the most part. These have been cycled more than 80K times with no issues. Aerospace tech company.
I get the concept and I understand the wariness when it comes to new stuff. Totally…
And, I have had to replace countless parts made by God knows who over the years that just screw things up…
I have also seen mil spec buffers come apart inside a gun that was not maintained. But at the same time, there are purist who think piston drive ARs are a joke and hate them. I love them myself.
That JP captured spring works well, have not seen one come in screwed up yet.
This one basically uses different weights just like other more conventional buffers only they use a hydraulic piston that dampens the front to aft movement.
I will definitely see how it lasts. I have one in my own AR and will definitely report if I have issues.

8 Likes

I ran one on my 556 pistol (hydro buffer) before I went with the Deadfoot. Worked fine, didn’t get a huge amount of rounds through it though.

7 Likes

Don’t consider myself a purist but we have different experiences with AR’s. I have two rifles with the only significant difference being piston or DI, I’ll take the DI version all day every day.

9 Likes

There is definitely a difference between quality and junk, but what about expensive vs inexpensive? Many years ago, it was either top shelf or junk, now it seems that there are a lot of better parts available at a lower cost. Do they still match up to top tier parts? No, but for the average guy, these parts will last a pretty long time. I know a lot of folk don’t like PSA, but they do offer good parts for a less price. I don’t have any PSA parts in my rifle as of now, so I can’t give any experience on that, but do have some other lower cost parts.

So what would be junk and what would be good inexpensive parts? Or do you just lump everything together if it’s not a top tier name?

6 Likes