Question transmitting internet to tv

I’m semi techtarded. What is the best/simplest method to run internet to the tv? Tv’s say there loaded for YOUpuke, Roku & other things, but i see nowhere for a Cat cable/internet wire to plug in, just HDMI, USB & optical ports. I assume there are options for specific equipment out there, i just dont know what. For my big screen in the living room, I run it through the PS4. I want to put a television in the gun room with internet so I can play videos (“how to” gun stuff etc) & Netflix etc. No clue what’s out there now. What are y’all doing to achieve This?
Thanks, Russ

8 Likes

Lots of options

TV’s not smart I take it?

In that case does it have any ports?

USB?

That makes firestick best and cheap

9 Likes

Smarter than me apparently. Yes got usb port, HDMI, optical. Do the newer smart Tv’s have a port to run internet cable straight in to? Or a way to connect to internet wirelessly?

8 Likes

On an old x box 360 there was a switch on the cable. One way I connected the x box to wi fi snd downloaded you tube snd Netflix . If I switch the switch to the other position I could connect to a newer tv. Both used 3 plug in cables but I can’t remember which ones . I’m thinking red white and yellow.

7 Likes

I’m 2 steps below semi tech tard, but I just run a cable from a laptop to a flat screen and use a wireless mouse as a remote. I have not got Netflix or any of that fancy stuff but I do have prime and the free stuff off the web and it all works fine,

6 Likes

Most TVs from the last several years will be able to connect with WiFi. Many will have an RJ45 (CAT5) connection as well. Go into the menu and settings. The network setting should be in there and allow you to connect to your home network (assuming you have one).

7 Likes

Think I need a new tv for the gun room. None of the ones I have to use are wifi/Ethernet ready. Prices are pretty low for a 32" to 40" 1080 smart tv. (I’ll have to rifle through a few of @Belt-Fed 's cards & see what i got to work with)

8 Likes

I used the x box 360 as a DVD player and to get Netflix and You tube to the tv but I never played the games. As far as home video games Atari is more my speed. Those new ones have too many buttons. I didn’t realize about the switch on the cable until I bought a new tv and gave the x box away . The guy I gave it to had a new tv and the switch made it work on newer stuff.

7 Likes

go into settings and look for wifi, sounds pretty new, might be good already

7 Likes

This should work, its from this decade lol. Since its Samsung, directions say i can mirror my Samsung phone or tablet directly to the tv. In theory… It’ll be interesting to try Full 30 on it. Went to BEST Buy in person, they had prices & options NOT listed on their website. Originally went in to look at a 32" Samsung 1080p for $239 I saw advertised. Once there, salesman said they got a Samsung 40" smart tv 1080p for $20 more. ($250-$259) Of course the full motion wall mount brackets they had were almost as much as the tv ($169 to $199), pass. Ran to wallysmart and picked up theirs for $28. All fun and games till your tv falls back off & shatters on the floor, we’ll see.

7 Likes

Very nice, did you thank Belt-Fed?

7 Likes

Ssshhhh!
lauren lapkus shut up GIF by Earwolf
:rofl::joy:

8 Likes

Lets Go Yes GIF by Bubble Punk

7 Likes

My Walmart bracket is working fine so far

7 Likes

It hasn’t been Lonewolfed yet :rofl:

7 Likes

To be fair I did screw it to 2 1x4’s

7 Likes

Knowing wolfie he will use 2x8s

6 Likes

It’s all up & sort of running. Wall mount was easy enough to install to wall & tv. HD Antenna is gtg, figured out how to mirror screen from phone to tv. Trying to get the WiFi stuff configured now.

8 Likes

Did you drink all that Crown Royal while putting up the TV? No wonder it’s crooked.

8 Likes

:rofl: not this year

7 Likes