Quotes from history that are appicable to modern times.

“Sorry, I wish it was big enough to see for ya”

@Caw to his woman, not so long ago

10 Likes

Take out the wo and you’d be correct.

10 Likes

Fify

8 Likes

coyote trapping logic. if you cant fuck it or eat it. piss on it.

13 Likes

As applicable today as when it was written:

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume, among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That, to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

That, whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

If this writing and the concepts therein are unfamiliar to you, hang your head in shame and quietly leave our country please. Otherwise, pay real close attention to that final paragraph…

13 Likes

works with majority rules - which at the moment is what democracy is all about…

works left, right or center

7 Likes

Democracy is, by definition, majority rules. That is why the founders of this country set it up as a representative republic.

12 Likes

It will be pressed away from a republic and pushed into a full blown democracy soon enough.

8 Likes

Do you know Aristotle’s definition of democracy?

“Democracies are when the indigent, and not the men of property are the rulers.”

~Aristotle~

“Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into despotisms”

~Aristotle~

Really we aren’t far from a democracy at all. I think we should still only allow those who own property to vote. I’m a firm believer that would help

8 Likes

I’m with you on that, I think it was like that at one time, however I would add one exception for anyone who has honorably served in the military.

7 Likes

It was like that at one time. For quite a while actually too. I think it changed shortly after the civil war.

I agree with your exception

6 Likes

Taxpayers should get a vote. Anyone recieving government handouts including Earned Income Credit don’t get a vote. Landowners could be easily worked around. Selling 1 square inch of property don’t think Democrats wouldn’t do it.

5 Likes

I don’t agree with tax payers being allowed to vote just cause they pay taxes. That argument will allow my kid to vote and he has zero real word understanding of the consequences of free money. He’s too adolescent to understand that yet.

6 Likes

In a 100% democracy the people meet to vote for laws. Some states now allow that to happen today through “ballot initiatives”. This for of governance is democracies and we are damn near to that level. In that scenario the minority opinion has no say and thus is a servant to the majority (ruled by the majority). Some would call it oppressed.

Let’s take the LGBTQ laws for example. Anybody remember prop 8 in California? Prop 8 was a ban on same sex marriage voted for and became law by a form of democracy voting. It later was struck down as unconstitutional. But that was the majority making law over a minority.

Equally forcing a cake baker to bake cakes for lgbtq people is majority over minority. That too was struck down by the Supreme Court.

If you really think about it, with things like ballot initiatives we’re not too far off from a full blown democracy

8 Likes

We have them here, in the last few years they have gotten us such wonderful things as gay marriage, legal weed, rank choice voting, and almost banned hound hunting for bear. we lost the only Republican Congressman in the northeast to rank choice voting, even though he won the election. The left’s mission creep is pervasive and never-ending, they keep bringing their initiatives up until they get their way, and then declare it settled law, and that’s the end of it.

9 Likes

Let’s hope that ballot initiatives never reach the federal level. If it does it will be the end of a republic

7 Likes

Taxation without representation is the reason we are the country we are. If the government taxes your income you should have a voice in the government, even if your voice is the one of stupidity.

7 Likes

So you’re saying that high school kids should vote? And no that’s not what we were founded on. At our nations birth only land owners could vote

8 Likes

In fact, only white male landowners could vote. And taxation of our citizens didn’t start until 1913. I believe that we shouldn’t be taxed and that only landowners should vote. No exceptions

8 Likes

To say taxation wasn’t one of the issues that drove the revolution in this country its a statement i cannot agree with. High school kids aren’t paying taxes on their income because these parents are claiming them as a dependent, essentially that parents are taxing the kids so they can get the tax credit. Once you cannot be claimed as a dependent and you earn an income yes you should get a voice. I can’t get behind the landowner thing. My brother is a transient worker he pays a butt load of taxes but it doesn’t make since for him to be a landowner cause he never stays in an age more than a year. He shouldn’t get a voice because he moves around a lot for work and it doesn’t make financial sense to purchase?

9 Likes