Readyman’s Bow and Arrow Article

I thought this was an interesting read for those into survival prepping:

https://www.readyman.com/blogs/news/the-case-for-bows-and-arrows?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=infusionsoft+newsletter+list&utm_campaign=bows+and+arrows&inf_contact_key=17e0c1505b62e8e6f01a9963fb4bba434dfbc39d7283b2cb89d5189540b69330

6 Likes

I learned how to make some arrows out of Home Depot bamboo stakes. I used a hand-held blow torch as a heat source to straighten them out.

I still don’t know how to make a bow, much less a crossbow, though. Readyman’s argument about crossbow bolts makes sense, too.

4 Likes

I shoot recurve with my homemade Douglas fir arrows. It is my preferred method of putting meat in the freezer (45 day bow season hereabouts before 21 day gun season).

It’s also a great way to spend time practicing and getting exercise with friends shooting stumps.

1397960156A

4 Likes

Awesome!

3 Likes

A significant drawback to the crossbow is how slow they are to reload for repeated shots.
With practice a long bow or recurve, multiple shots are much faster.
Just a thought.

4 Likes

Awesome! I much prefer traditional recurves and longbows over compounds. Sadly, target panic keeps me from consistently improving well enough to bowhunt, but I’m experimenting with that by shooting lefty.

3 Likes

Here’s me and my boy flinging arrows.

5 Likes

That’s awesome!!

2 Likes

Archery is a great sport.
Nice and sneaky for hunting, too.
Probably would be a good choice if there’s ever a breakdown of society.
Guns are noisy.
Archery is silent but deadly.
It might have been Benjamin Franklin who advised the Continental army use bows instead of their slow loading muskets.

3 Likes

I heard the same rumor about Ben Franklin’s suggestion to use volleys of arrows against the English soldiers lined up for battle.

I read how the Comanche completely dominated their muzzle-loading foes using light cavalry archery tactics until they met their match when the Texas Rangers were able to fight them with revolvers.

2 Likes

My boss hunts with one and his big complaint is that the one he has cannot be uncocked (like when he wants to exit his tree stand). He has to fire a “dummy” bolt into the ground and half the time it is destroyed when he does that. If I were to get one I’d make sure it has a release system.

3 Likes