Real world survival lessons from Ukrain (article from the Modern survivalist blog)

Heres an article I found over on Ferfal’s blog. Im not sure if any of yiu read his stuff but he is one of the more credible survival instructors having survived Argentina during its economic collapse which left them with no government for close to 5 years. He has a book “The Modern Survivalist”, I think its worth a read if youre into prepping. Anyhow he got this off the Russian forums and had it translated.

http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/archives/4032

Excellent info. Thanks for sharing.

Heres a good blog on survival lessons learned from Hurricane Katrina.

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/map.html

Another good source of info. I have no experience surviving in war torn areas nor do I have experience surviving the loss of potable water and electricity for a long period of time. However, I’ve been through about 5 hurricanes in my time, including aftermath cleanup after Katrina hit. With that limited experience, I learned that in the aftermath of each, four main things stood out:

Need for water (No. 1 thing)
Need for gas
Value of neighbors
Fast food joints and big box discount stores rock

Every hurricane I’ve been through has resulted in the loss of clean, potable water from a few days to a few weeks. Sometimes, not even dirty water comes out of the faucet. Before it hits, best to fill every tub and container with water and buy up as much bottled water left on the shelves. You can’t flush the toilet, wash dishes or clean much without water. Not recommended, but the foolish invincibility of youth had me bathing in water-mocassin and gator-infested swamp and bayou water after some of those hurricanes hit since there was no water at home for showering. Bathtub-filled water was used for minor washing (pots, dishes, etc.), while bottled water was used for hydration and brushing teeth.

Since hurricanes cause loss of power from a few days to a week, gas stations within a good 100 to 300 mile radius can’t pump whatever gas might remain in their underground storage tanks. So that limits your ability to drive around a lot until you can get gas.

When calamity hits, neighbors you had rarely acknowledged all of a sudden pooled together and helped each other out. I noticed this phenomena even in crime-ridden Puerto Rico when I was there during a hurricane about 25-30 years ago.

Don’t be surprised if a day or two after a hurricane hits the local Waffle House, Domino’s Pizza or McDonald’s manages to re-open. I know because as an unskilled, uneducated youngster, food industry jobs were the only ones I could get, and we were always told to somehow come back into work the day after if possible. I also noticed the local Walmarts and Lowes opened a day or two after Katrina hit, even though no one had power or water in their neighborhoods for a long time afterwards. So those establishments seem to have one heck of a contingency plan with emergency generators, fuel for the generators, communications and some supplemental water supply to be able to do that.

Meds and first aid kits are always good to have on hand. Also, phone lines (both land-lines and cell), usually go down for a period of time, making communication difficult.