Recce rifles ,SPRs, and precision AR15s

Maybe something like a 16" SPR , i just dont know enough about selecting barrels or anything like that. Ive always shot bolties or did run and gun with carbines. Ive alwas geared my builds towards run and gun. Theres other question I just need to remember them.

2 Likes

I see certain companies match the bolt to the barrel, Whats the significance in doing that? Im assuming its accuracy but is it really effective or more of a gimmick?

2 Likes

No it works.
So when a batch of let’s say 158 steel bolts are made they are machined with in a tolerance between let’s say for argument sake .005+ or - .
If I chamber a barrel and match a bolt the tolerance would be more like .001+ or- . It’s not easy as pie to hit an exact number but with a little experience you can do it. If you go to tight on tolerance you can run into reliability issues if it gets dirty enough.
The looser the parts the more reliable in dirty conditions. The tighter the parts the more accurate.

4 Likes

Is this what you would consider lapping a bolt?

3 Likes

No, lapping a bolt your using liquid sand paper and smoothing out the high areas of the back of your bolt lugs and face of your action. This is used to better match the mating surfaces to improve contact area.
With the proper machining ” if that is an option” the surfaces will mate better to each other.
Not to say lapping is bad. It all depends on the situation.

The grit of the compound is also important for different jobs.
This is my attempt at a short answer
 I failed :smile:

5 Likes

Thank you! I know a little about alot and a lot about a little, Gunsmithing is not the thing I know a lot about LOL I can take most anything apart & put back together, inspect& recognize wear, damage etc. due to what I do for a living but knowledge and proper skill/ procedures of gunsmithing, I haven’t learned yet.

4 Likes

It’s life consuming and rabbit holes in side of rabbit holes sometimes.

4 Likes

Good info, thanks. Im debating going that route or not, I could always keep the current Colt bolt and hope the headspacing is correct or spend the bucks to get it matching.

2 Likes

Don’t worry to much about it. Just make sure what ever you do or end up going with just buy a go and no-go gauge. Checking head space is cheaper than a visit to the hospital.
If you are on a tight budget just buy a go gauge. You can use a .006 shim on top of the go gauge and now you have a no-go gauge.
Not recommending that, but in a pinch it will get you by.

4 Likes

I have some but that is good advice. I wouldnt mess around too much with an AR without being able to check headspace. Are melonite coatings on a ss barrel ,worth it?

3 Likes

Good question.
I don’t see it being a bad thing. Just another layer of protection. Remember melonite is just a surface hardener to the best of my knowledge.

4 Likes

So it wont effect accuracy like chrome lining does?

2 Likes

DPMS pull lower, no name slick side up(major manufacturer employee did a group buy on Cast Boolits), Del-ton BCG, DEZ Arms match grade 9:1 barrel, midwest industries free float hand guard, forget who the gas block was from
Nikon P223 rings, AR Optics 3-9x40 scope. Longest shot so far 550 yards on a prairie dog

Checking a new hand load round, shot twice, forgot my spotting scope so moved an inch right and 2 more shots. Rest was a rolled up sweatshirt on top of an ammo can
 100 yards, 6 inch target

100 yards rapid fire cheap American Eagle ammo. I wanted to see what barrel heat would do. 100 yards, 6 inch target, resting on an ammo can

7 Likes

Entry level Colt Competition Rifle, 24" Barrel

7 Likes

Oh CAR, competition Armalite Rifle! Got it.

4 Likes

Its a true grin to actually watch that bullet flying, just amazing,

squeeze trigger
watch fly
hit

neat stuff

5 Likes

Whats the longest youve stretched it? Those look neat.

3 Likes

This is my “Recce” the Harris bipod only gets attached once in a while
it’s usually at home on my 17hmr.

S&W M&P15 Tactical, Magpul furniture, 2-7 Bass Pro special Shotgun scope (love the reticle!) Troy buis.

Here it is in action earlier today (yote hunting).
(I’ll spare you the grisly aftermath.)

6 Likes

Is that why you clipped your photo?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

sorry , to easy

2 Likes

Nice! :+1:

3 Likes