Recce rifles ,SPRs, and precision AR15s

4 Likes

Im all out of hearts
I feel like such a whore :weary:

5 Likes

What exactly is a ‘gunner’ profile barrel?

3 Likes

A profile that lends it self well to be light in the front and heavy where it counts.

4 Likes

https://www.at3tactical.com/blogs/news/ar15-barrels-profiles-fluting-and-dimpling

5 Likes

That answered my question, thank you. Neat site too, im going to be doing some more reading in a bit. Good stuff.

3 Likes

@Caw, You’re welcome I’m glad it helped👍

3 Likes

Awesome article you found!

4 Likes

This /\

3 Likes

Just one of the many barrel profiles they sell https://shop.dezarms.com/product.sc?productId=64&categoryId=27 my local gun dealer manufactures his own line of AR’s and this is the company he uses. Sub moa is typical for them.

2 Likes

My first AR was a build project. It was a long process as I researched what I wanted. But with some patience and help from @switchpod it was finally completed after a year and so far, I haven’t wanted to change anything!

16" Stainless barrel (can’t officially say it’s a JP)
Palmetto lower
Magpul furniture
DPMS free floating hand guard
Billet upper
Chambered in .556

12 Likes

Nice weapon!

7 Likes

Out in Montana it is long range territory. 100 yards is close range.
We usually recommend 1:7 twist barrel for anything over 68 grain projectiles.
I personally run a 1:7 14.5 inch LWRC and with a 3x magnifier run at 425 yards.
I see Faxon barrels have been called up. Good barrels. McGowen barrels are good barrels, just be prepared to deal with gas port sizing. Some do not want to deal with that
 but they are a good barrel that is concentric. Very important for anyone running suppressors.

6 Likes

Disadvantages of a 1:7 barrel is they heat up faster. But they do very well at stabilizing heavier bullets at distance.

6 Likes

Only reason I went 1:9 was to match my Savage axis
 so far handloads for one work well in the other so I don’t need separate precision loads. Saves time at the reloading bench! Since I use both mainly on coyotes and prairie dogs 50-55 grain v-max have worked well.

3 Likes

@RogueGunnWorks

Doesn’t the faster twist rate contribute to accuracy, too? And, not just in heavier bullets
?

3 Likes

The twist rate needs to match the bullet weights. 1/9 for lighter bullets in 5.56
(40-62). 1/7 for 69-75 etc. The heavier bullets need to spin a bit faster to stay stable. The lighter bullets tend to become unstable when you spin them too fast.

4 Likes