Reclaimed primers

I was really happy today. I was able to reclaim 40 live primers from some 357 SIG brass that had been damaged while resizing it years ago. It’s like finding little pieces of gold! :joy::joy::joy:

Especially since I ran out of spp’s a while ago!

After all these years, I finally found out you can use your decapping die to very carefully remove live primers! I thought you’d set them off.

Old dog learned a new trick :rofl::rofl::rofl:

11 Likes
10 Likes
10 Likes

Actually ordered some legit priming compound to try that next…

10 Likes

May not be ideal, but…

9 Likes

…desperate times call for desperate measures.

10 Likes

EXACTLY!!

10 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

9 Likes

Fudge that’s sad

8 Likes

Yes it is…and probably going to get worse for those of us who have been living slightly above the poverty line for years and unable to “buy it cheap and stack it deep”. :man_shrugging:t4:

9 Likes

Watch out for those little plastic caps. The compound is likely corrosive, possibly abrasive, and certainly an inexpensive compound that may cause bore problems. Wipe with a product like Parson’s Household Ammonia to neutralized the corrosive dust after shooting. That’s what I do for old surplus ammo.

How do you get the little anvils back in to support the compound against the crushed primer cup with Boxer primers?

9 Likes

Got some actual priming compound coming, but it is definitely corrosive.

From what I’ve seen, you remove the anvil, use a small punch to flatten the primer cup back out to remove the firing pin indentation. Clean the cup, add your compound, re-insert the anvil using some tweezers, press it gently into place and insert it into your shell casing using your primer tool.

8 Likes

Good stuff. When It comes to bunny and grouse and some deer hunting there are times I am happy I set back the calendar a bit as an option. Flint seems to be under the radar. :wink:

Me on the right.

9 Likes

Looks like a lot of fun!
The first handgun I ever fired was a CVA percussion pistol kit that my dad and I built (I watched him build it lol). It was a ton of fun! Since then I’ve had more than a few muzzle loaders. One of the best experiences I’ve had was working with a group of youth who were experiencing what it was like to live in the early to mid 1800s by living the way they did for a couple of weeks. I got to teach them all how to load, fire, and care for a muzzle loading rifle. Very neat experience!
Unfortunately I don’t have any at the moment.

7 Likes

prime_all_compound_1024x1024

7 Likes

Awesome photo!

7 Likes

Yup, that’s the stuff. Corrosive compound so if you use it, clean your gun well. They are also over a month behind on filling orders so be prepared for that if you order any.

5 Likes