Recommendations for this frame?

This was one I found pretty cheap online. When it arrived I noticed a few peculiarities about it. It appears to be a cast frame. I don’t know what steel it is made from. I don’t think I’ve had one of those before, but I’m hoping it would still be strong and not prone to failure. It has light flashing on the front strap and quite a bit in the grip safety area on both sides. It is decked to the correct height, just needs the barrel seat cut. Bowtie area is not bored. The dust cover is squared on the outside but without rails.

What do you think I should do with this thing or how do you think I should approach it design-wise when I build? Should I go slab side to kind of match the dust cover or try doing something new/different with the dust cover? I’m terrible at design/aesthetics so I’d appreciate the community’s input.

7 Likes

I would inspect the frame in detail to make sure the important areas are in spec. Steel frames usually have barrel seats cut, but I believe Matrix makes a barrel seat cutting jig.

Do the grip screw bushing holes have threads?

With cast frames, the issue you may run into are voids in casting. For example when you are blending or checkering you may encounter bubbles/pits. Structurally, there may also be some other issues, but it all kind of depends on the stresses (caliber) you are planning to put on it.

As for having more meat on the dust cover, you could consider mounting something to it.

8 Likes

I haven’t taken all measurements, but the deck height is right. My calipers measure .360 from deck to top of slide stop hole which is consistent across all of my finished frames. Since that is correct I’m optimistic about the rest. The grip screw bushing holes are threaded. I do have the Matrix barrel seat jig so that’s not a concern.

8 Likes

Assuming the slide stop hole is .200", the deck should be .350" from top of slide stop hole. The spec is .450" from center of SS hole.

8 Likes

I feel smarter just reading this thread :sunglasses:

8 Likes

I think it’s just how my calipers read. That’s why I mentioned my other frames, some built and some OEM built pistols. It was driving me crazy when I was decking a frame that it wasn’t getting down to .350 so I decided to measure a few others and it was consistent across all of them. They are Husky digital calipers for what it’s worth.

8 Likes

Now we know what to get you for Christmas

8 Likes

What he said.
What makes you think that it’s cast?
Go to McMaster Carr, get some pins.
Undersized drillrod from them works great for about every thing, same sizes as a numbered drill set. 2 or 3 in long. I make small punches, grip safety pins, but I digress. Back to subject a tight pin for the slide stop.
Then you can get a accurate deck height measurement.

8 Likes

And while you are at it, double check the other end, .355
(I love posting photos!)

8 Likes

These kinds of photos are an excellent resource. So I, for one, am glad you are posting them @albroswift

8 Likes

Good info. Thanks!

4 Likes

Forgot to answer this earlier…look at pics 2 and 4, you can see flashing on the front strap and in the grip safety area. It’s pretty bad in the grip safety area on both sides where they both look like pic 4.

5 Likes