Red Dot Poll

reddot

Aging eyes have started to affect my accuracy, so I’ve been using red dots on the AR and PCC for several years now. My declining vision hasn’t significantly affected my pistol shooting yet, so I still run irons. However, it’s only a matter of time, so I recently installed my first pistol dot on the Ruger MKII. I haven’t practiced much with the new setup yet, so it’s too early to have an opinion. Do you guys use red dots? If so, what are your thoughts?

Do you use red dots?
  • Rifles only
  • Handguns only
  • Both rifles and handguns
  • Neither. I shoot from the hip like Billy The Kid.
0 voters
9 Likes

I would not be opposed to using on on a pistol though

8 Likes

I have tried them and found that I can still shoot better with iron sights.

10 Likes

I likely will revisit them, just never had any I liked previously. though I can see the writing on the wall (when I tilt my bifocals)

8 Likes

Love a red dot for my semi auto defensive rifles. I’ve got a red dot on a range toy pistol, its accurate & I can pick up the dot pretty quick. But I feel I’m faster on target & have less obstruction/distraction sticking with the open sights on my EDC. I’m certain with more practice, a pistol optic can be mastered as well as open sights.
I too am not getting any younger & I know time is ticking on the eyesight. I plan to add more use of red dots on the pistols to become more proficient with them.

9 Likes

Just wait until your pushing 60 .

9 Likes

I feel more confident with a quick shot from a red dot, but my actual scores don’t differ from one to the other. It all still comes down to grip and trigger.

8 Likes

why have you waited so long ? you been tilting for years… :grimacing:

9 Likes

Can we have a choice that says “Neither: I use iron sights on pistols and iron or glass optic on rifles”?

Or how about: “I plan to when I get old enough to take up golf and add red-dots to my handguns as the conceilability won’t be an issue with a scabbard holster on my walker.”

11 Likes

Target shooting or self defense? AK/AR “pistol” or Glock/1911? Co-witnessed or no? Answers would differ.

8 Likes

Have a Tru-Glow micro green laser on the G-45.

7 Likes

Been using them on a couple of rifles for a few years now, that or LPVOs.
Going to have to consider the handgun soon…my eyesight has reached “that point” OG can’t focus on anything anymore.

7 Likes

Should open that poll back up …I used to use them years ago but believe most of the ones I used were all first gen and just didnt hold up . I actually went back to scopes about 7or8 yrs.ago. my vision now has started to get that blur and I am considering go back to a red dot . Was thinking about a Trijicin RMR RMo1 3.5moa anyone use one on anything with extreme recoil??

9 Likes

Start a new one :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Dont likem, the only one here is on the medium woman’s AR, its a Vortex and she has had it for over 10 years, always works.
She uses it because she cant hit the broad side of the dairy housing.

7 Likes

Oky doky smokey

9 Likes

Bwahahahaha

9 Likes

I have several on different guns. Mostly Sig or Bushnell red dots.

9 Likes

Well, Robert I aint a gonna do it . On account I am too stupid to figure it out …lol

9 Likes

Don’t have a gun to put one on.

9 Likes