Red Dot Poll

Thought I had an ancient site, a simple reflect, yours makes mine look modern

8 Likes

Now this one got some little line thingys in it for different distances but it ain’t red.

9 Likes

Not exactly big recoiling guns, but thousands of rounds fired through 9mms used for competition over many years. Wait! Yes a lightweight 12gauge and a .45/70 that I load up to 2300 fps. Yeah, they hold up.

FWIW, the Holosun with solar cells doesn’t even need a battery for power. I hadn’t changed it in quite some time and went to the range. I tried to shoot from under the roof and the dot was too dim to see. I walked out into the sun and there it was. I have no idea how long the battery had been dead since I always used it under the sky and not under overhead cover.

For 30 years now I’ve been forced to use either a red/green dot, a scope, or a pin hole to shoot through. Yeah, they work. I’ve never killed one.

An RMR? They’re good and I have at least 2 of them. But for the $ I prefer Holosun. An enclosed tube type if it’s for a gun that gets shouldered (no moving slide), and if it’s going on a slide an open type.

Just a tip if you plan on adding a laser, keep the laser and dot sights different colors. That way the laser dot can be moved to the sight dot and easily checked to make sure nothing moved. Same color and which is which? FWIW, I have never had a dot sight move from it’s sight in and my competition guns regularly are removed for gun cleaning and return to zero close enough for shooting out to 35-40 yards (lever type QD mounts).

I have many of them on straight recoil stocks. Don’t be afraid to build up the mount to where it needs to be to look through the sight without contorting your head and neck. It might look strange but that’s what we give up to have a stock with no drop at the heel. Or to cheek a handgun which requires an extreme built up sight mount.

7 Likes

You do realize the further from 1450fps the LESS damage the 45/70 does. I used to make 430grs hit meat at 1750fps, now Ive slowed them down to 1500fps and they are way nastier.

4 Likes

I will quasi agree with you . A lead boolit at a moderate load speed ( having the characteristics that it will pass straight through a animal ) naturally if slowed down will tend to do more damge or even tumble after hitting flesh . I shoot a 300 grain lead cast boolit and it is about 1850 and the deer I shot this year it went in the right side went straight through the shoulder bone and clear out the other side just ahead of the other shoulder . Deer never took a step fell straight down done. Now a hollow point bullet ran too fast will shatter upon hitting the same kind of flesh and bone combination and may or may not produce a good result. I say all that to say this .

1. Bullet selection
  2. Shot Placement
  3. Type of Game
    I will say this to Brian K
    That makes quite a few mentions of Holosun on here. Think I am gonna look em up
7 Likes

Do you happen to be current or former LEO/MIL?

5 Likes

https://www.garrettcartridges.com/penetration.html

Met randy at the local range, I let him shoot my Caliber 30, M1, he told me the secrets of his ammo, Ive built them that way ever since.

My bud uses 250gr TSX Barnes for elk, Has never needed a second shot. He copied my preloading style. Except his go 2000fps.
Stops the elk right in htier tracks.

I dont use them girl boolits, prefer 405gr RN, anti-personal 430gr FN Ranch Dogs. and for long distance a postel 540gr.

Not a red dot on any of them.

5 Likes

Former LEO, back before the mass brainwashing , I started with a wheel gun qualified at the academy on a wheel gun. Was raised on wheel guns.

8 Likes
8 Likes

If you decide to get a Holosun or have other needs, these discounts could come in handy.

https://forum.full30.com/t/list-of-leo-mil-vet-1st-responder-discounts/

7 Likes

Thanks for that information :+1:

7 Likes

Robert ,
I took an IQ test once.
I will say I found alot of what we did as babysitting. It was such a revolving door. But I was stiffled my low pay. Literally was tanking financially with 3 kids and a wife .

8 Likes

Maybe it works (Tolerated) in Gov, it is the biggest problem in the private sector. The Commies are doing a great job. Helping us destroy ourselves from within. If it was publicly acknowledged that what is being done was tied foreign agencies that were intent on hollowing US out to fill the Vacuum to steal the World, nothing would even happen at this point it seems. I wonder what they are afraid of?

9 Likes

That is true and it wil eventually happen .

7 Likes

Maybe we should stop doing what they are telling us to do?

9 Likes

You mean act like Free men that our Grandfathers were and hope it catches on before they squish you like a bug? Sounds good to me.

8 Likes

How many of us are there left ?

7 Likes

Not enough.
Though cells worked well for some. :wink:

6 Likes

Ever step on a hornet, wasp, bee, scorpion bare foot? Other thing is if you miss that bug is going lay some serious pain down on you.

7 Likes

no don’t want to either :confused:

5 Likes