Reloading 308

@Robert,
It’s only been to the range twice. But so far, no failures to feed, accurate, and the best recoil pad I have ever used. From the bench and prone, 150 grain factories feel more like light 243’s maybe even 223’s. The 180 grain more noticeable. Not sure what kind of a heavy load you would need above a 180 gr in the 308…Optimum game weight for the 180’s is around 900 lbs…easily covers any Bigfoot, Dogmen, or black bears in my area. Plus, the DBM is usually listed as ‘Drop’Box Magazine. The rifle weighs 6&3/4 lbs. empty and without the DBM…which are steel and weigh approx 1/2 lb empty. Plus, it swings and points like a shotgun. A nice option to the heavy AR-10’s and M1A’s, when not intending to fire too many rounds. But with the DBM’s that is still an option. Plus the little 1.5-4 power scope helps keep it a light package. Let me know if I missed something.
BW

8 Likes

The Bigfoot is definitely a great reason to load with percision in mind.
For 308 I really like the 150grain offerings. Why well for me a rifle is distance + accuracy/percision. I will have to go see what my notes said. I loaded up a box for my Father in law not to long ago but the amount escapes me.

7 Likes

Not really a need. But some folks shoot the 208s in them. It is a interesting idea, good enough for black bear, moose and such under a situational range. I know I wouldn’t be without a magazine of them loaded if I was in Griz country hunting something else with a 308. I personally like DBM 308s and DBMs in rifles in general. They give different options fairly quickly in the field.

7 Likes

That’s a great looking rifle Bill :+1:

They make wood stocks as well but the black looks really nice IMO. The one thing that I saw was the barrel has a 1/12 twist which may limit it out of the heavies, 180 maybe being max. But it’s yours and give the heavies a whirl if that’s your interest.

I have done no testing on any of the loads you mentioned although I did load up some 150 gr soft points. I used mixed case brands and targeted the same high 2300 to 2400 fps as the 168’s I had done and was very happy with the results.

7 Likes

Good point Jeff. The 1:12 T with heavies would destabilize quick. The 208 may work in a 1:10, but better in a 1:9. In long (30") a 1:8 twist with a longer throat it can lob 220-230’s with the right powder.

7 Likes

That’s the same thing I do. Al mentioning the AR Comp and it being a cleaner burn really has my interest, so I will give it a try and the plus side is, it as well can do well in other calibers I have.

8 Likes

When I started reloading I looked at a lot of different powders, a lot of different data, trying to find the “One or two” powders that would work throughout a broad range. Now I’m at the point I think I have a different powder for every caliber I shoot, sometimes two or 3!
It’s a vicious cycle.

7 Likes

He did some testing on this as well, seems he sourced a different brand of brass with those small primers. Might be worth a look.

8 Likes

I’ll check it. I like him.

7 Likes

Off the chart pressures they were able to pull off! My hat is off to Alpha for their proprietary OCD Brass. I have heard good things about them and have heard about the OCD, just had no reliable reports.

Small primer is clearly the way to go with 308 win and Lapua Palma has been the King. Until now. I think Alpha OCD just might depose it.

With Ukraine war on, Lapua stopped production of Palma, so I have Lapua in large primer. I also picked up some Peterson small primer which is supposed to go 30-40 max loadings, and now I’m gonna have to pick me up some OCD.

Varget is pretty standard for 308, I wonder how much LVR you stuff under some heavies with the Alpha?

8 Likes

True story ,
I think I have OCD … :joy:

8 Likes

If it were bad you’d say CDO

8 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

8 Likes

Alphabetical order is of course proper :joy: :joy:

7 Likes