Reloading small mouth cases with extruded powder using Dillon

I like extruded powder for my .223 rounds N140 and Varget. I also reload using a Dillon. If you have tried it, you probably ran into the problem of squib loads followed by an overfilled case. I gave up years ago and have been using my Dillon progressive in semi-automatic mode … not using the Dillon to dump powder but hand weighing and charging.

Decided to do something about it. I don’t shoot 800 yd precision but I do shoot 600 yd and just play at 700, 800, 900 and 1000 with 77 gr loads. OK. I’ll continue to hand weigh those loads.

If I can figure out how to upload a pdf, I describe how to modify a Dillon powder funnel to make it capable of dropping large extruded powders into a .223 case without squibs or the dreaded spilled powder (which is a STOP sign and indication the previous load is a squib).

I love Dillon and their Customer Service people BUT if you ask them about the issues with extruded powder and small mouth cases, the answer is and always has been “Don’t use extruded powder in small mouth cases. There are plenty of good “ball” powders and spherical powders that work just as well.” Bless their hearts. I understand how they don’t want to deal with the hassle of charge weight variation as well as the squibs. It takes way too much time on the phone. For the rest of you who dare and know how to ensure all your loads are safe, I think you’ll find this interesting. If my fix doesn’t work for you, please blast me loudly.

Dillon Extruded Powder on Small Mouth Cartridge.pdf (52.2 KB)
Check out the attached PDF

7 Likes

excellent
and printed for further exploration

4 Likes

Looks like you managed :grin:

4 Likes

Yes. Thank you.

3 Likes