Relocate to Helena Montana?

Beware of what was, is, and may yet be

Was a day when it was everyones, the Bundy’s know that day

Now, here in MI at least, they’ve implemented day use permits, now 5.00

Ajenda21 theory is that all that land will be restricted to human use, red zone, off limits

So, just beware, all the federal land near me has recently been marked, they went as far as to shift the plots 12’ in my area, doesn’t seem to have crept into county level, no one seems to have seen that as the case that I’ve spoken to

6 Likes

I lived in Montana for 8 years. Litterly… fuck that frozen place.
People can be nice. Can be… there is a hidden racism there though.
Helena was just over an hour and a half from where I lived. It is cold… and windy. That combination sucks. Bad… yiu can get frost bite in 15 minutes. It is a dry cold of course. The snow is easy to drive on… but it is still snow.
Then the summers you are at 90 to 100 in the helena area.
6 out of the eight years I lived there, we had 3 seasons. Snow (8 months) hot summer… then smoke.
Here is another thing about Mintana that you will get pussed about. Most of the BLM land is either land locked or… very hard to access. I grew up in Oregon and Washington. You want to go into the woods? No problem! Montana? Yeah, better have a GPS and a map. You get caught on private land and you are fucked.

8 Likes

The free us a lot of hidden issues with Montana most people do not know till you get there.
Big one is pay…
Unless you own a business, you are NOT going to make money. That is a damn fact.
Some things are cheap… most food and fuel is cheap. Car insurance? 2x the amount that it is in Washington or Oregon.

8 Likes

Housing is EXPENSIVE and it is only getting worse. Unless you live out in NO WHERE… and have to drive 2 hours one way to get to a city. This is not a joke.
I had to move back to Washington to buy a place. I bought an acer of land with a house and a 1800 sqft garage for 142k in montana that would be 500K

8 Likes

You will either like or HATE winter. It can snow in July… you have 8 months of freezing weather, that is a given.
Is it beautiful? Absolutely
Is the fishing great? Sure is!!!
Can you go gofer hunting? Sure if you know someone… can you know someone? No…

7 Likes

This sounds more familiar to me wrt Montana. There’s a guy on another forum I visit that lives near Missoula. All he does is piss and moan about how much it sucks there. The fires, suicide rate, influx of lefty hipsters, low pay, lack of jobs, cold weather, and such -on and on and on. He makes it sound like a literal Hell on Earth. But then on the flip side he has no intentions of leaving -probably because his entire life seems to revolve around pissing and moaning about Montana’s problems. :roll_eyes:

So for what it’s worth, no matter where you live it’s what you make of it. Moving under the circumstances you mention though @Equin means there’s going to be a lot of growing pains to adjust to the climate alone. As for the rest, make sure your family is really involved and fully invested in the decision and all will be well. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

7 Likes

Great advice and insight everyone!! Texas isn’t perfect, but it’s been great to me and my family. So it would be hard for us to leave. I think the part about jobs and opening a business is a huge factor. I kind of got that sense from my own google search of the Montana economy and business climate. I’d be employed, but my wife wouldn’t have work lined up for her. She’s a go-getting restless soul with her own small business, which is unfortunately not portable. So she may be frustrated enough to hate the move if we were ever to decide to move there. Man, it sure is a beautiful state, but not sure if my wife would be happy there.

8 Likes

Sounds like you’re gonna miss her tor a little while, when ya leave her behind in Texas…

7 Likes

Ha! Nah, we realized long ago no one else would put up with the other like we’ve somehow put up with each other - lol.

8 Likes

It is a magnificent state to visit! Really stunning. But Like I said, I could not stand living there myself.
Oregon? Absolutely. Washington? Absolutely… as long as you are off the I-5 corridor.
Just remember, I-90 is the same way… that is the river of drugs, trafficking, and kidnapping… it connects both sides of the country.

6 Likes

River of drugs, kidnapping and trafficking? Yeah, we have something like that here in Texas called the Rio Grande. So I guess it would almost feel like home!

7 Likes

Yeah… you are probably right! It may even be less! Hahahahaha

6 Likes

Sadly, it’s everywhere. Southern border states and big cities seem to have more of their fair share, though.

6 Likes

Yeah, the shitshow is even where I live here… but here it is mainly just drug users.
The shootings and violence is not here.
Yet…
Baaaaahhahahhahaa

5 Likes

I guess things could be worse. At least we’re not a narco-state like Mexico where kidnappings, killings, beheadings, dismemberments, etc., are a frequent occurrence. Luckily, none of that has reached Texas to a great extent although Texas hasn’t been immune to it. A shame how even idyllic settings and majestic mountain states like Montana still get their share. Human nature, though. At least Texas and Montana recognize the 2nd Amendment more so than other states so we can at least try to defend ourselves.

8 Likes

that is true. Idaho is the same way.

6 Likes

i wish i could report alaska is different. in Alaska the three major economic points are, oil and gas, tourism, federal spending. with 1/3 of alaskan economy based on federal wages and spending , well the they dont have to out number us to have a large effect. liberals dominate federal jobs or at least appear to. i hate they use our decency against us.

8 Likes

Alaska is one state I’ve always wanted to visit! I heard it’s kind of expensive and not as cold along the coast?

6 Likes

my aunt in ohio has figured out that where i am has less harsh of a winter then ohio. i am actually in a rain forest, and it does rain alot. it is retarded expensive. diesel is 2.70 now and if you groc shop in seward, well be either rich or have food stamps. i am neither so my diet is shit. you should visit. my play ground is vast and fishing is good.

11 Likes

What a cool picture - literally and figuratively! Humid and in the mid-90’s here in Texas. Supposed to get over 100 the rest of the week. So seeing that sure makes me want to visit even more!

What time does the sun go down up there in the summer? I guess you have to head up past the arctic circle to see the Northern Lights?

7 Likes