requesting opinions on home protection shotgun

don’t think I really want to cut the barrel. As it sets I can still hunt with it. In fact just took a turkey last season with this .
Being as its a 835 I am having issues finding a 18.5 inch barrel hence the reason for this post. I am now heavily leaning to the Keltec ks7.I am liking what I am seeing a lot more than the Shockwave

3 Likes

For home defense, especially if you are not training or have been trained a LOT… you are better off with something you can shoulder.
Control, and… more ability to retain your weapon. You do not want to go hunting inside your home for an intruder. Call 911 and get behind cover or concealment and wait for help to arrive. Blast them if you have to…

6 Likes

@RogueGunnWorks I cant agree more. Even with a bit of training I am uncomfortable with going looking for bad guys. My main concern is being able to protect my loved ones. My wife, her cousin that lives with us.
I understand my weaknesses and am trying to train and am also looking for a place to train. Also looking for what I think is the best weapon for me. I love the look of the shockwave but never thought of how unwielding it could be plus just how easy it would be to disarm me with that short handle.
Thank you all for giving me food for thought . I will pass what I have learne along with concerns to my Gun Dealor. Please keep them coming as I am not new to weapons and am quite profitiant in the field but protecting my home is a different ball game

5 Likes

Best thing to do is have good locks a loyal dog . Have a good place to barricade your self and family that way you know if they are in front of you they are fair game.

7 Likes

Dogs are nice alarm systems but, ultimately they will be shot by the police when they arrive if the situation is still hot.

3 Likes

Actually that entire subject of locks is very important.
Not just locks but hardened 4 inch screws into the door jam on dead bolt and door handle. 3 inch screws into the hinges. They make special ones for doors themselves. It is a must.
Also… auto motion lights outside, but placed where they should be. I have seen countless people put them on the corners of their home. Easy to defeat and sabotage.
There is a lot to home security… more than just a 12 gauge.
I will try to write more later.

5 Likes

All of this plus most people just need a realtor to never have a home invasion situation.

2 Likes

well for now the price was right so I went will a Stevens model 320. Basic model plus 2 boxes #6 bird shot out the door at$ 230. Good enough for me as I may start the fund for a Keltec KS7 later. I ran 6 through, cleaned her up and reloaded… Setting in her corner ready if need

9 Likes

Because black ones need friends too!

8 Likes

Our Home protection shotguns at the ready. Top is the wife bottom is me.

8 Likes

Why , how tactical of you SAK :rofl:

2 Likes

I am building one… :grin:

7 Likes

I’m probably different, I have a Mossberg 930 JM PRO by my bed. It’s long but it’s a 12 gauge autoloader, and that’s pretty mean plugging buckshot at high rate. Penetration isn’t really a concern of mine to be honest. I want to dominate a threat and it gives me that feeling.

4 Likes

That shotgun is great. Really is. The 930 has been really fast but low recoil.

5 Likes

Whats the story with that design? Very unique.

2 Likes

I like the Rem Tac14 in 20 gauge with brace (is an actual 20 gauge frame unlike the Moss) once the side folding brace was installed lopped the barrel flush with the mag tube and re-installed the front site. Install the folding “brace” FIRST! Or else OAL is less than 26” and can’t go back to the raptor grip.

I load Rio Buckshot #1.

But if worried about overpenetration go 5.56 with high velocity Varmint rounds. During Tactical courses we shot drywall, cars, vehicle and window glass. Only two rounds barely made it through 1 regular interior wall (paper target 5 yards behind interior wall was only peppered) 5.56 Varmint and Glazer Safety Blue tip Frang. 00 Buck #1 Buck and even #4 Turkey loads plow right through. The bucks shot went through three interior walls into a berm #4 turkey varied from 2 to three walls depending on angle and distance.

4 Likes

I went with 2 3/4 number 7 birdshot. I think it gives me a good amount of penetration with out to much over penetration

2 Likes

Too many failures with bird shot. As Use of Force and FA Instructor plus I do shooting reconstruction investigations. I can tell you bird shot is hit or miss. IF (HUGE IF) it penetrates deep enough it is devastating but for every circumstance of that there are two where bird shot fails to punch deep and just leaves a large surface wound. Don’t do it.

Turkey loads do make great breaching loads in a pinch though! :wink:

7 Likes

I understand what you are saying and have read a lot of the same. The wife and I have handguns in the room and we have decided that if something goes bump in the night we will shelter in place and shoot only as a last resort. I love my house and things in it but nothing in there cant be replaced. Now the shotgun is on my side of the bed and she has her little P22. If all that doesn’t work then I reach for the 357. Hopefully I will never need it.

4 Likes

I keep a 870 tactical with no 4 buck. Also a 20 gauge side by side with no 6 shot.

5 Likes