rex zero slide release flaw

My goal is to call attention to a flaw in current production of the rex zero. I cannot address older models. I have been “round and round” with G.O. warranty, which verified my issue with their current warehouse stock and by conference call with the manufacturer. It is not that I can’t use the slide release to drop the slide to chamber a round with a loaded mag in place. That works fine and it shoots properly as well. I am referring to an empty mag in place, where the slide is locked back, and I wish to retract the slide only slightly by hand, in order to depress the slide lock/release to gently drop the slide to battery, without ramming it home. This results in full drop of the lock to the de-cock position and inactivates all function until the lock in forced up to normal horizontal position. Gentle slide drop is a common function that works in all other pistols, hammer fired or not, and is a common practice after finishing firing and wanting to drop the mag “gently”, not slam it home on an empty mag. I hope you see the distinction, and understand my warning, since the warranty company says “it’s normal, their existing stock does the same thing”. The manufacturer on a conference call says, “don’t drop the slide on an empty magazine, remove the mag first.” Additionally, I found an older model on display at my local range, not a rental, the compact tactical model. It performs properly. Clearly, there has been a design change, or a defect which the manufacturer won’t acknowledge so as not to have to issue a recall. Either way the manufacturer and U.S warranty company is indifferent to the problem. This is a warning to avoid this pistol in favor of a manufacturer that accepts responsibility and provides proper support.

7 Likes

I’d say ok thank you and punt it, put your efforts into something more deserving.

I had a Coonan, loved it, it had issues, sent it in, got to deal with the owner direct, all good, except the issue, stove pipes, was never corrected, and the slide peeling back, they said was normal to their pistols, was also not something I cared to live with, so, it and the custom one I had made to go with it, both punted.

6 Likes

6 Likes

I appreciate the reply. I am interested if any who own this pistol can verify the flaw, or verify their pistol doesn’t do it. This may help with future warranty claims. I am resisting sending it to the warranty center if they deny the problem, especially since I have to pay to ship.

7 Likes