rifle vs. pistol primers

I have a primer question for the very knowledgeable here. When I measure small rifle and small pistol primers with my caliper I get the exact dimensions. Is the charge different? So far I’ve used the small rifle on my 30 carbine and the small pistol on 9mm, 38 special, and 357 mag… Since the 30 carbine is such a small casing would the small pistol primers work in them in a pinch? I know I could just put primer of each in a casing and fire them listening for a difference in charge, but I thought someone here might know the technical difference.

7 Likes

thicker/harder

9 Likes

When you say thicker do you mean that the metal is thicker therefore needing a harder strike?

7 Likes

Yes

8 Likes

rifle primers are hotter than pistol primers.

5 Likes

Probably. what kind of powder are you using for .30 carbine

5 Likes

what firearm are you shooting it out of?
Something to consider, thinking along the lines of floating firing pin/ semi auto bolt?
pistol powder or rifle powder
If you were using a fast pistol powder, I would think a pistol primer would be just fine. (Unique, Tightgroup, etc…)
If you were using a magnum powder, Magnum pistol primer (H110, 2400, 4227) would probably be OK BUT looking up it up in loaddata, Winchester 18" barrel data, Hodgdon pistol data, hodgdon 20" barrel data all say CCI400 with those powders above which is small rifle.
Didn’t see any rifle powders in the data but I didn’t look everywhere, no way I would use a pistol primer with rifle powder.

6 Likes

H110 in the carbine

6 Likes