Right thing to do or stupid? Guy fights mountain lion to save his dog?

I view pets as family so I can see why he did it. This guy should probably buy a gun though.

12 Likes

Good for him. Prayers for Sadie.

Spot on 89 from 99. Family. +
“Don’t leave home without it”

11 Likes

The guy did the right thing, pets are family and more loyal.

13 Likes

100% he did the right thing; you know the dog damn sure would have done it for him. Messing with one of my dogs is a good way to meet your maker.

13 Likes

I was a farm boy, animals are animals and family is family. I had “pets” I really loved but animals are expected to full fill a role serving man. That said no way can I say he was right or stupid, I’m not him and wasn’t there in the moment, seems like one of those things a person would just do or not, no thinking involved.

9 Likes

I’m wondering if he would’ve had a shot to begin with if he had a gun. Hitting it with a stick is one thing as the stick won’t penetrate and it may be harder to miss with a good whack, but there’s the possibility of missing a shot and accidentally hitting the dog or having the round pass through and hitting the dog anyway. Either way, brave taking on a mountain lion with just a wooden sign to save Sadie!

6 Likes

Just playing devil’s advocate here. Sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference between cajones and stupidity. What would be the consensus if the lion had turned on the man and killed him?

3 Likes

Still would be a hero to me.

Stay armed.
Louisville Slugger is a hell of a weapon.

7 Likes

You most likely wouldn’t need to actually hit it in most cases. Mountain lion run fromthe sound of gunshots a majority of the time. They are more a nuisance than a real man killer though(although it does happen). They are/were getting over populated here and more than a few dogs and chickens have been munched on but only a few attacks on humans over the years.

4 Likes

Good to know! There are a few mountain lions in Texas, but I’ve never seen one and know little about them.

3 Likes