Rotary tool vs normal drill

Hey yall

Question for ya metal types, maybe this fits in gunsmith maybe not…

So why would a guy like me buy a dremmel Rotary type tool when I could use the bits in my drill? I doubt I’ll use the tool much but for cutting small things, it could work precision where my Sawsall would cause a lot of problems and be all over the place.

I could see myself flap disking off ends of long screws and such but not much more.

Also I don’t have much use for an angle grinder

But already have a battery and corded drill

Rpms matter?

Control I suppose, smaller handle I could see for the rotary

Not really using it on guns yet

4 Likes

rotary tool being smaller - good ones tend to be an adjustable variable speed plus designed to be used in a linear fashion (held like a pencil) where most drills are held like a pistol.

6 Likes

Yeah, I guess I’m trying to save a few dollars idk, my dad had a few drill things that he’d use before their time I spose, maybe a hedge trimmer attachment,… He was a machinist and did tool and di stuff, worked at mercury motors and skag to name a couple, all around handy guy. I’m not really that, fix stuff and tinker from time to time, probably better with computers

6 Likes

You listed the reasons @0null00 - detail work being easier to do with a smaller tool that is more comfortable and easier to control when it comes to work where control matters a lot.

7 Likes

As far as gunsmithing the rotary tool is needed and nice to have one you learn how to use it effectively
But that said many a hack job has come from bubbas with it

7 Likes

Detail work that’s made possible by the size and the variety of tools coupled with the extreme RPM range. With the addition of a mini Dremel press it makes a versatile tool even more so. One with which I have done many jobs that other tools just wouldn’t have done, or at least as well. Very happy I have one.

7 Likes

Dremmels and duct tape are life

7 Likes

I have used a dremmel for a long while. And finally got a foredom.

6 Likes

Found a dremmel at a garage sale, 10$ right down the road

4 Likes