SAAMI, SAAMI... Tried To Slip One By?

How did we not hear about this one?

This one actually makes more sense to me.

6 Likes

My first thought: It’s a 10mm Magnum but with a longer case.

My second thought: When can I get some brass to tinker with necking down to .357/9mm?

5 Likes

That would be a 357 Sig magnum.

6 Likes

Or 9x30 MARS Magnum? …but then it wouldn’t be a ‘x30’, would it?

Edit: I guess it would be a 9x42 MARS, but that just doesn’t sound like a catchy name.

5 Likes

Starting to be more talk about it.

400 Legend | Winchester Ammunition

6 Likes

A 10mm Magnum of some sort sounds like a good AR caliber…like we need another…lol

5 Likes

The 400 Legend seems to be intended for deer hunters in states that require straight wall cases and a case length below a certain amount. (Edit: So it appears Biden was wrong about not needing an AR-15 to hunt deer.)

AR barrels/uppers are available in .40 S&W and 10mm. I’ve seen some talk of people tinkering with 10mm Magnum barrels in ARs (and the .338 Spectre is a 10mm Magnum case necked down to .338 for use in AR-15s). 400 Legend seems to be stretching the case length to around 25% more than the 10mm Magnum.

I’m still not clear on whether it uses 5.56 mags or 6.8 SPC mags, since I saw a claim that it’ll work with 5.56 mags, but I would have thought that 6.8 SPC mags would be the obvious choice.

The way I keep finding AR components still in the original packaging, when I go looking for something else in the shop, I’m starting to think it would be worth keeping an eye on the availability and pricing of barrels and dies.

6 Likes