Safety and firearms is no joke.

10 Likes

I preach safety in every firearms class I teach, As I tell everyone every firearm has 2 safety’s …
The first is your head… USE IT !
And the 2nd is your finger… KEEP YOUR DAMN FINGER OUT OF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR READY TO SHOOT !

6 Likes

Yeah, I hate to see people pose with guns and their booger hook is on the trigger.

7 Likes

Bought my grandson a new rifle Friday
Salesmen flashed us with his finger on the trigger

I almost …
But I didn’t.

My Grandson says on the way home.
“That man shouldn’t touch guns”
Yeah he’s a keeper

6 Likes

Kudus to your grandson mjrfd99! I see that far too frequently among folks who should know better even in the firearms knowledgeable state I live in. There are people I know who I will never allow to handle my firearms due to that.

Initially when I heard this news my reaction was,“It’s NJ. (ho hum)”. It took me awhile to realize why I had that response. I hope I can explain it without too many flames headed my way afterwards.

I have sympathy for the prosecutor and his/her family, but it’s a result of NJs gun laws and the people there vote the lawmakers in. It’s inevitable for these things to happen in places such as NJ. NJ has for decades been at war over the 2nd Amendment. It’s why I got out of there 40 years ago when it first REALLY began to show it’s head. If a state (or person) initiates a progression of acts that results in an outcome foreseen or unforeseen I can only assume the outcome was intended. Stupidity or “I didn’t know!”, is no defense. NJ has long made it difficult and in some places close to impossible for their residents to own firearms, so why get instruction? The result is a population that is largely devoid of any firearms knowledge whatsoever. Based on what I encountered 40 years ago there is an actual fear of firearms among some folks there. Is it any wonder that something like this happened? The only surprise to me is that it hasn’t happened sooner*. NJ might not have outright intended this to happen, but they definitely caused it because of the animosity they have toward firearms and the ignorance that brought about. I expect to see things like this happen in CA and NY as well, basically wherever there is a firearm ignorant population.

It’s not right, but that’s the harvest they reap with their animosity (and attendant ignorance) to firearms. It doesn’t mean that we need to follow their lead.

*I have to wonder how many evidence rooms have holes in the walls or chips taken out of the concrete floors. I served with cops who almost didn’t know which end of the gun the bullets came out of. They definitely couldn’t qualify with their firearms and had to have private qualification sessions to pass. Those officers were accidents and lawsuits waiting to happen. That was 40 years ago and time hasn’t been kinder to that displayed “expertise”, I have no doubt.

3 Likes

I was at Gander Mountain years ago looking at a CZ, the salesmen was showing me the DA/SA function of the trigger by pulling the trigger about a dozen times while he pointed all over the store, including me. I took the gun from his hand, placed it on the counter and said, don’t do that. I walked out.

2 Likes