Saying goodby to something I love to do.

no doubt. I think people are so self involved that they don’t stop and think.

6 Likes

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks @Detonics. As sad as it is for me to close the business, this gives me more time to spend with my wife and work on content for the website where there is a hall of doors to explore.

10 Likes

@LonewolfMcQuade Thats what makes it kind of exciting in a way. Getting this nightmare behind me gives me clarity of what may lay ahead. Maybe an article on the webpage about what I have learned by being an FFL holder for 10 years…

8 Likes

I feel for him. There is an emotional toll that it takes on you. The final emotional toll that is playing on me now is that I love to help people. Always have. This was one way that I helped people. I keep telling myself that I can help more people by focusing on the website and content.

I have had more that a couple of times where I asked myself if it was worth it when renewing my license. I always came up with an answer of yes and that was because I like (most of) my customers.

6 Likes

@Caw, we generally don’t have a lot of regulated pressure here in Montana. It is actually pretty easy to be an FFL. In the Helena valley, you can’t throw a rock and not hit an FFL. From the front door of my house, I can see two other FFLs.

There is a lot of growth and I can tell you that with the exception of 1 person, all of the problem customers have been recent transplants to the area.

However, there has been some pushes lately with the “Progressives” trying to fundamentally change our way of life out here. This totally pisses me off since I moved to Montana for what it is not because I want to turn it into what I came from which sounds like where you are from and I escaped from.

Oppressive oversight to firearms has spawned the whole industry of 80% firearms. And now states like California have been squashing that. They pretty much shut down @Mosinvirus. Hell I learned more about 1911’s from his YouTube channel than anyone.

9 Likes

Me too. I fear that it is the sign of the times though. It is self important people screwing things up for everyone else.

7 Likes

I have to say the holier than thou people have always been around; just look at the Inquisition. What has changed is that it is easier for a local act to be spread around the world, making otherwise nobodies feel important. See how many people are obsessed by how many likes they have in twitter, facebook (does anyone even use it anymore?), and so on.

8 Likes

@lyringbastard. This is @TheRogueBanshee, He/Him although I choose to identify as a She/Her for the sake of my channel name and avatar. Would you please keep topics of religion (inquisition) to yourself so that you do not offend the otherwise religious-affiliated. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Sorry, I totally had to be a [spoiler]smart ass[/spoiler] and pick on the ultra politically correct. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

When my long time ffl was wanting to retire he offered to sale me his shop at a very good price . I had to pass on the deal I just did not want to deal with jerks . I don’t have the temperament for it so I can understand how you came to this hard choice. It is just too bad a few people ruin it for you.

6 Likes

That’s one reason that has always kept me from getting an ffl. I don’t want people showing up unannounced. People have a hard time reading and comprehending, then feelings get hurt these days quick. You never know how people will react in this day! Hope things move to a path where it becomes worry free and fun again for you!

8 Likes

Smart move. People are pretty over the top these days. The worst that I had was 4 years ago when I had the office in the basement. Had a guy show up open-carrying a 1911 that was cocked and locked. He got a delay on his background check and came unglued on me. He was telling me that it was a government conspiracy to put in a waiting period and that I was part of the problem.

When his delay came back approved he wanted to come back and I told him he was not welcomed here and that if he shows up he will be trespassing.

I have only had to draw my weapon once in my life and was totally shitting bricks during the encounter. Lucky I didn’t have to draw that day. We almost closed the business immediately after that. Instead, we moved it up to the garage and ran another 4 years before things got so bad.

10 Likes

People like this make it difficult to defend the idea everyone deserves to be armed, when you hear of people supporting gun control and find it a surprise its just likely they’ve dealt with people like this and don’t want them around (in society) armed, you had an unreasonable armed man in your home, that’s very unsettling for sure.

8 Likes

If I was a FFL I would just stop all armed people from entering business, keep door locked and verify no loaded guns enter the shop…my local shop does not allow any guns to be loaded entering building, if you are using indoor range you must show guns are unloaded at front desk before they let you into range…

8 Likes

There was a lot of changes that we made after that incident. The only person armed is me unless you are LE. I let my LE guys keep their guns on them even if they are in plain clothes.

9 Likes

That sucks, man.

I am still planning on getting a license so it would be really good if you will follow through on writing up your experiences.

I am sure you will find other ways to occupy your time. Good luck, and I wish you all the best in any and all of you future endeavors.

12 Likes

Thanks @Mosinvirus. As sad as it is, I am looking at this as an opportunity. Just don’t know how that opportunity will look yet.

I have talked to my wife about writing up something for aspiring FFLs when we made the decision back in July to close the business (yes this has been brewing for several months). I just don’t know how that will look yet. First installment may be titled, Get your head checked out first :slight_smile:

In all seriousness, I love being an FFL. It’s not because I love guns, it’s because I love to help people and love guns.

If you decided to go down the FFL route before I do a write up. Let me know. I’ll give you a hand. I got my license approved from the ATF first shot and without buying a kit.

10 Likes

Sounds like it was a real headache having to deal with those few crazy customers. Do you think having a separate little store front could’ve helped, despite the added cost of rent? I suppose you’d have to man it full-time, though, to turn enough profit after paying expenses.

One FFL I’ve bought from operates from his house. I’d never even think of going there unannounced, much less being demanding with him. He has a bit of an aggressive personality, but he’s always been cordial enough with me. I think I now understand why he may be like that.

Another one I’ve bought from operates out of a tiny little window-less office that looks kind of like a storage space in the middle of Dallas. He seems friendly and approachable, but he’s also a fairly big guy and former military.

Anyway, good luck with your next venture and please share more of your experiences when you get a chance!

9 Likes

Yes, I am still going to try here. I am thinking smithing only, not really dealing.

I have no doubt you will figure out what to undertake next. Good luck to you again. Definitely take the time to relax and clear your head. When your mind is peaceful ideas will flow in.

9 Likes

This has discouraged me from trying to be an FFL. Thank you for sharing some info @TheRogueBanshee

10 Likes