School this Glockaphobic Fud it

Ok here is the deal. I used to hate AR15’ :ar15:. After all nobody really needs one, Right?:sarcasm:…BUT, I got curious about their versatility for hunting. So I opened my mind a bit Then let some AR Fan boys school me. … I ended up building one. I love it and Now have 3 uppers.
Any how. I grew up in the 80’s and Glock was the dreaded untraceable, undetectable,plastic gun.:ghost:. Then there is the memory of a visit to Cleveland in the 90’s. When a drug dealer running past me firing a Glock at another street thug, took him down. Put 3 rounds in his head, threw the Glock on the ground,then ran off. It was my opinion that Glocks were evil :glock: for a long time.
Any how I bought a Ruger (a whole 'nother topic"). I started realizing that Ruger got a lot of the Ideas that make it’s plastic guns so viable…from Glocks.
So I figure, maybe :face_with_raised_eyebrow: This Glockaphobic Fud, Might be able to learn a few things from you Glockaphiles.
Go ahead school me some, I may just come over to the dark side.

11 Likes

You can wash it in the dishwasher and the aftermarket is limitless. Its also ugly so you dont have to worry about getting attached to it if you ever have to sell it.

13 Likes

Sights are cheap and shitty, trigger sux and they are overpriced in comparison to some of the other poly 9mm pistols out there, imo.

9 Likes

If I do go Glock It will probably be a build and a ghost :ghost: :gun: Or at least a frame off rebuild on a used one. I have heard about the triggers and the poor sights. But with a build bad trigger and sights could be eliminated from the get go.
I just love to work on guns and I already have the tools I need, except for a template to do a lower.

6 Likes

Parts are dirt cheap and easy to find. You can build a plain Jane self defense Glock all the way up to a game players gun…for less than half the cost of doing the same thing to a 1911.
Glock has the lowest total parts count (34) of just about any semi auto out there…and in stock form are just dead nuts reliable.
Lightweight, easy to carry, and the Gen 4 has just about the best recoil management system of any polymer pistol imo.

8 Likes

I have a factory original, unmodified, plain Jane Gen3 G21 with 20,000+ rounds down the pipe. Here’s my $0.02:

Cons:

1. Ugly
  2. Grip feels like a 2x4
  3. Shitty trigger
  4. Shitty sights
  5. Ugly…and getting worse with age.

Pros:

1. Amazing reliability
  2. Amazing durability
  3. Easy to clean and maintain
  4. I shoot it accurately

I have other pistols that look, feel, and shoot much nicer…but I will never sell my trusty old circa 1999 G21. I just like it for some odd reason? This probably doesn’t help answer your questions. Sorry.

:laughing:

10 Likes

Friends don’t let friends buy ugly guns .

10 Likes

I’ve had a lot of glocks, they’re fun to collect and stack the boxes

I’ve done some 80%'s they are fun to build, still relatively a glock

you can learn to shoot them very well, and they are reliable

what they are not, to me, is SAO

I like to drop the hammer, find it more precise

and you can do 80% 1911’s as well, not as easy, but very worthwhile

9 Likes

^ This

8 Likes

Not a Glock fan, dont like their grips or triggers but they are stupid reliable and durable.

@Mitty38 do yourself a favor and get a Glock 20 (or Glock 40) the find yourself a 9x25 Dillon barrel. You’ll thank me. It’s a fantastic cartridge.

8 Likes

Was kinda thinking down the lines of multi caliber, if I do this. Kinda like my AR is set up. I have a 9mm, a .223 and a .450bm plus a bmg .22conversion. Do not know if it is even possible, but I would like to have 9 .40 and .357 Sig all in One lower frame. But sky is the limit when I am still in the wish booking stage.
Like to muddle over different Ideas before I jump into things.

7 Likes

VP9 & PPQ are both superior in my experience

7 Likes

I agree, the glock has more aftermarket and the mags are cheaper.

The comparison is very similar to BMW vs Honda though.

6 Likes

A glock 22 can be changed to 357 sig or 9mm. 357 sig just change the barrel. 9mm takes a different barrel and different magazine. Same with a glock 23.

7 Likes

You can get a .40 SW barrel for the Glock 20 so that’s a no brainer. Kinda want to get one myself. For the .357 Sig barrel you’ll need a 9mm Glock as a start—not sure which one though since I’m not a Glock guy. My father in law has a Glock and a .357 Sig and 9mm barrel. It’s a hoot to shoot that .357 Sig.

5 Likes

@Robert

Don’t forget the Canik TP9 based on the Walther P99. :+1:

4 Likes

Totally doable. Get a Glock in either .40 cal or 357 Sig and you can get the other conversion barrels to run 9mm and 40/357
9mm requires its own mags, but 357/40 can share. All in the same frame.
Yes I’ve done it, and yes it works.

You cannot run the 40/357 barrels in the 9mm slide.

9 Likes

Well I’ll first say I’m a huge a Glock fanboy so I’m going to be a little biased. I have an advanced armorer certification from Glock and I carry an assortment of Glocks on duty at work. I know I’m a little late to this topic and you already seem interested. But I’ll throw a few things out here from my experience.

First and foremost, always go to a gun shop and hold a gun to see if you like it. Shoot it. Hold it. Play with it (safely). There are tons of great guns out there but they don’t always fit each person. Sig makes some.of the best guns in the world but I don’t care for the height over bore. Some people don’t like Glocks for various reasons. Get what you want.

Second, like others have mentioned, Glocks are probably one of the most simple firearms in the world. 34 parts depending on what model you get. They are all made very similar and if you learn on one, you’ll probably do just as good on all of them. The best thing about these guns and their simplicity is everything has a couple of functions in the gun. I grew up being told the more moving parts, the more likely something is to break. And if you want to go beyond regular field stripping, you can do a complete disassembly with ease and only need to use a single punch (or a handcuff key if you’re a cop lol)

Next, they are very reliable. Like others mentioned, these guns are known for their reliability. That is one reason why they have been the cops gun of choice for decades. If you’re putting your life, everyone else’s life, and your entire career into one fun, you better have some real faith in that gun. Having been to the factory and having done a lot of armorer work on these guns, I’ve learned how resilient they really are. I have seen a lot of Glocks come through my armory that haven’t been cleaned in 5 years and have thousands of rounds through them. They’ve been in the pouring rain, exposed to constant salt water air, scrapped against the ground, holstered and unholstered, and dragged through sands or mud. They continue to work without a hitch. And they require very little lube. In fact, Glock has even told me these things would rather have no lube than too much. This is another reason the things you’re referring to love them. They don’t typically take care of these guns and they are usually stolen and tossed around through all kinds of situations. They can be stolen and sold hundreds of times and still work.

The features on the gun are as simple as the parts. They are striker fired leaving less exposed parts. They are always ready to fire, but include 3 separate safety mechanism (drop safety, trigger safety, and firing pin safety). They don’t go bang until you want them to. But when you want them to, they will.

Parts are readily available and considering how popular they are, its not hard to find things and for good prices. They are very customizable and if you don’t like one little thing, you can change it. Personally, I’ve never had a problem with the stock sights but a lot of people don’t like them. Just swap them out for something you do like.

Last, the price. No gun is necessarily cheap but you can get a Glock for a fair price. Although I personally think the market is flooded with them and used prices should be far lower, they tend to hold a lot of value in the used trade for some reason. So if you end up wanting to sell it, you can recoup a decent share of your money.

Those are just a few reasons why I think they are a superb gun. I could go on all day. As for caliber, get whatever caliber you like to shoot. My first duty gun was a Glock 22 chambered in 40. I have since moved on to a Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS in 9mm. But all that comes down to is preference. Go to any range, shoot a couple different Glocks. For the most part, they are all the same except for the ammo.

12 Likes

Guess I got that reversed!! I’ll correct my post. Like I said not familiar with Glocks. Hah.

7 Likes

@DreadfulGlory

Spoken like a true Glock marketing / public relations employee. :+1:

FYI, I hope you saw the sarcasm.

8 Likes