Scope dope and the repercussions!

I’m a dope so I glue my D.O.P.E. on my scope . . . cap. Pencil sprayed with a chart waterproofing coating and Duco cemented in place.

Love the BDC Reticle on the Nikons. Even dummies like me can make it work (the little numbers on the far left are inches drift with a 10 mph crosswind, everything else is yards).

7 Likes

I don’t like scope caps on carbines - I’ve seen too many people pull up their rifle and it is capped shut. It hurts time in competition, and would be worse in the real world. I don’t mind them on precision rifles though.

For carbines, taping your dope to your stock is a greate alternative.

3 Likes

I only compete with myself and the animal I am hunting. If it’s close (within 150 yards) I just shoot.

Further out I have time to set up the shot.

This guy had a chicken in his mouth and my wife dropped the rifle down to me off our deck and I shot him running at over 100 yards (our pasture is 330 feet and he was just passing the edge). Three seconds from catching the rifle to sending the bullet (it’s always loaded - screw you Governor Cuomo). Offhand shot on a running coyote. The chicken lived.

That’s as “real world” as I get for the most part. Taking a life and protecting me and mine is always serious business for me.

Now THAT is competition.

Hunting in the rain and snow also favors a covered scope. As does having the rifle leaning against the wall beside the back door. An uncovered scope would get dust on the objective lens.

8 Likes

Awesome!

2 Likes

I will write my dope on my stock with a sharpie… but for a carbine, I really do not go past 500 yards. I zero at 25 yards… 6 inches high at 100… aim for the chin, hit them in the forhead… with my eotech the 62 MOA ring is zero at 425 yards (approx) so you just have to judge distance.

3 Likes

@LonewolfMcQuade keeps dope in his stock.

3 Likes

WTF? I’m not from Oregon!:fu:

4 Likes

Good shooting!

I just don’t like the extra steps with deploying my carbine, so I run with no caps.

3 Likes

In competitions, especially 3 gun, not running a cap makes sense. In others, such as DMR and LR, running caps is no issue. Hunting wise, I run caps all the time.

To each their own ultimately

3 Likes

Do soldiers, marines etc use them over on the two way ranges in the middle east?

2 Likes

We had them for our M68s but they usually didn’t last too long.

5 Likes

I have a dope sheet for wind drift for my AR Optics scope, bullet drop is pretty accurate on the reticle… Keep the sheet in the storage compartment of the grip. But I know it by heart by now… out here on the MN prairie wind ALWAYS blows.

5 Likes

Having some knowledge of what your dope is is pretty much mandatory. So why not hone it in a bit? While it takes time, it is worth it.

2 Likes

4 Likes