screwdriver recommendations

I’m mostly a tinkerer but like to repair/service what I feel comfortable doing without the end result costing me a fortune because I did it wrong. I’ve disassembled most of my guns to clean including complicated trigger assemblies on my shotguns and go them back together successfully. That being said, I want to buy a decent set of gunsmithing screwdrivers. Can some of you pros recommend some brands? A Wheeler set caught my eye but most of the reviews said the bits broke off way too easily and often. What ya got for me?

8 Likes

Snap-on when you want the best

8 Likes

Tropicana and Tito’s? :smiley:

7 Likes

I guess I should have mentioned not liquid screwdrivers.:smirk:

9 Likes

I’m not a professional gunsmith, but the wheeler kit isn’t bad for the money. I’ve abused the hell out of mine on firearms and other household & garage related applications and have not had a bit break yet! They are shaped just a little bit better than average tools for gun shaped screws. Less ability to strip a screw head. I would highly recommend unless you want to get into some much more expensive gunsmith tooling

9 Likes

safcrkr I recommend the Wheeler Fat Wrench, screwdriver, torque bit set.

One of my favorite gun tool’s, I’ve had zero issues with any of the bits! they seem just fine you can always replace the bits with an upgraded set if you like👍

11 Likes

I have several different screw driver sets marketed towards gunsmiths. Sometimes they fit, sometimes they don’t. I also have a drawer full of generic screwdrivers , modified to fit specific screw heads. I bet I’m not alone.

10 Likes

Not that they don’t have quality tools, but the giant Stanley corporation has man different brands of quality tools under different names. My tool box is Snap On, and with that I have told you where I am sitting before I tell you where I stand. I have many Snap On branded tools.

Don’t waste money on Snap On screw drivers. Craftsman professional are really nice, at a much better price. I cannot speak to being an armorer and what they need. Small Arms Solutions on youtube has a video where he covers a bunch of those tools of the trade.

7 Likes

Which is who now?

I broke a ratchet the other day, no idea where to go replace it

8 Likes

Sears, Stanley, and Lowes came to an agreement. I stating this from an outside perspective. I saw the ads from Lowes. “The new home of Craftsman tools”. I buy a lot from Amazon, but not everything. Many things I need to see before buying. That isn’t one of them.

7 Likes

No need to break the bank on screwdrivers. However, you want a set that fits the screw heads properly. A set that has different sized blades on the thickness and how wide the blade is. The blade needs to be exactly wide enough to fully fit the screw head, too narrow and you risk damaging the screw head. In addition to how wide the blade is, you also need to pay attention to how thick it is. It needs to fit snugly in the slot, as well as seat all the way to the bottom. Failure to do that will result in damage to the screw head. My advice is when you use a screwdriver, insert it into the slot and try to wiggle it. If it wiggles, try the next larger screwdriver. Pay attention to this and you greatly reduce the risk of damage.

8 Likes

100 bucks for a screwdriver?

6 Likes

CDNN has this set for less than $10.00
This is a B-Square set I have had for years.

8 Likes

You specifically mention gunsmithing screwdrivers. I’ve had the Wheeler set and they work nicely. I wonder how many of those reviews included over torquing?

The Fat Wrench is a nice addition and I highly recommend it to prevent over torquing. I have accused myself in the past of being armstrong and busted screws/bolts and stripped threads are the result (along with choice words). With the FW, as long as it’s used puts a governor on ones over ambition.

6 Likes

The wheeler sets are pretty nice
I have a nice pacmeyer set as well

5 Likes

I started using a set similar to this one:

Now I am using this one:

Having many tips in different widths and thicknesses of blades, while all of them have a hollow grind, is awesome. The best way to protect screw heads is to match the slot perfectly with the blade of the screwdriver.

8 Likes

^^^^That’s one helluva endorsement for Wheeler coming from a man who truly works magic on every firearm (or woodworking, or remodeling) project he’s ever touched.

I also agree that most failures are attributable to improper use and/or using the wrong size bit for the job.

Me personally… I prefer Klein Tools. Buy once cry once I say, and Klein has never failed me over the span of an entire career. They’re made in the USA and not even all that expensive relative to other options available today.

6 Likes

I purchased a similar set from Brownells many years ago:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-sets/magna-tip-super-sets--prod417.aspx

6 Likes

Huh, I figured that was meant to be “small tools” and made in GE

my bad

5 Likes

Years ago I invested in the Brownells Magna-Tip full set (filled ALL the holes), plus several add on packs like Torx and ultra-thin blades since then. Has been handy for firearms and so much more. Not cheap but a good investment.

7 Likes