Self-Defense Gun Stories Podcast- Episode 141 with Elizabeth Hautman

24 minute audio-

Rob- Introduction- I’m glad you found us and welcome to episode 141 of Self-Defense Gun Stories. This podcast is for people who are curious about a firearm for self-defense, and for those who already own one. I’m your host, Rob Morse. We’re joined this week by self defense instructor Elizabeth Hautman.

Elizabeth- Hi, Rob. I’ve been teaching and planning my next gun class. As an instructor, I need to keep up and expand my skills!

Rob- We had 15 reviews this week at the iTunes store. We also had over 12 thousand downloads this month. Thank you for both.

The podcast is looking for a bilingual host who will make a spanish version of Self-Defense Gun Stories. If you know an instructor, host, or editor, then please ask them to contact us. Until then, Elizabeth, please introduce our podcast to our new listeners in English.

Elizabeth- We look at several examples where gun owners survived a life threatening situation. Were they lucky when they were surprised, or did they have a plan? What should we do in their place?

Our first story took place last week in Ramseur, North Carolina.

Rob- First story- Do you have a gun nearby at night?

Your daughter says she heard something in the house. You get out of bed and search your home. A downstairs window is broken. You get your gun and keep searching. You see someone standing next to your gun case. You point your gun at him a shout for him to put his hands up. Your robber says, Hay, It’s me, Brandon. You’ve caught this young man snooping around your property for the past several months. You turn him around, grab him by the back of the belt, and walk him downstairs. Your wife calls police.

The 28 year old robber is charged with felony first-degree burglary, felony breaking and entering and injury to real property. He was placed under a quarter million dollar bond and sent to jail. He has a long criminal history.

Elizabeth- This family had a stalker.

Rob- That doesn’t happen very often. What should we do?

Elizabeth- About half of violent attacks happen in or near your home…because that is where you spend so much of your time. This family did a lot of good things that made them safer. Their doors were locked, so the robber had to break a window. That made noise and alerted the household.

Rob- Given that they had a crazy person watching their house, I wonder if they practiced.

Elizabeth- The daughter alerted the family. She didn’t go downstairs and investigate.

Rob – Where did our defender’s gun come from?

Elizabeth- Safe gun storage for self defense.

Elizabeth- Mom called the cops.

Rob- What do you do if you have a robber up stairs with your family? This homeowner decided to move his intruder.

Elizabeth- Get them facing away from you and then face down on the floor.
Rob- We talk about hiding our family and calling police. This intruder was already upstairs…and looking at the homeowners gun cabinet. What should we do if we have family members sleeping in other rooms?

Elizabeth- flashlight? House lights?

No shots fired.

That is enough for now. Our second story happened last week near Cincinnati, Ohio.

Rob- Second Story- Are you armed at your store?

You’re behind the counter at your small liquor and convenience store. There is a lull as people go home for dinner. A customer comes in and shouts at you. You look up and see a middle aged man with a gun in his hand. He tells you to hand over your money. You have your gun with you. The robber walks to the counter and pokes you in the head with his gun. You reach up, push his gun away. That is when you draw your firearm and shoot your attacker. Now the attacker runs away. You step into the back room and call police.

The police found your attacker dead on your doorstep. They look at the surveillance video you have and say this was self-defense. The police chief said, “This small 63 year old store owner is a hero. She defended herself when a robber put a gun to her head.” The officers also said your attacker had 29 prior arrests and a problem with drugs and alcohol.

Elizabeth- This is really frightening. The robber didn’t show her a gun, he shoved it in her face and hit her with it.

Rob- That was designed to intimidate the victim. It also gave the victim an opportunity to move.

Elizabeth- And she took the opening to defend herself. This was a small 63 year old lady. She didn’t want to get in a hand-to-hand fight with her 48 year old robber. I think she’d either been robbed before or was aware that other businesses in the area had been robbed. She was both physically and mentally prepared for an attack. She had video cameras installed as well.

Rob- What would you tell your students to do in this case?

Elizabeth- Move, present, shoot, run, call the police.

Rob- That is a lot to remember.

Elizabeth- Practice.

Rob- How would I practice that?

Rob- Anything else you noticed?

Elizabeth- She didn’t chase the attacker. The attacker ran and she ran the other way. Those video cameras paid for themselves. The cameras help deter robbers. They also recorded what happened and saved the defender tens of thousands of dollars in lawyer’s fees.

Armed female.

Our third story happened last week in Huntsville, Alabama.

Rob- First this message from Armed Lutheran Radio.

Give a listen at http://www.armedlutheran.us/

Rob- Third story- Are you armed when you’re working in a restaurant?

Everyone in this business knows the 10-80-10 rule. Ten percent of your customers will love you no matter what. 80 percent appreciate your efforts, and the last 10 percent won’t be happy no matter how hard you try. The number of unsatisfied people goes up late at night, and it is 10pm now. A delivery driver complained that his order wasn’t ready when he arrived. It happens, and you apologize for the delay. The customer is yelling at you and starts to push you. Your dad is delivering orders to other tables. The argument gets louder and your dad comes up to stand next to you as well as other employees.

The angry customer pulls out a gun and threatens all of you. Everyone steps back and starts to run. The attacker shoots your dad.

You’re armed. You shoot your attacker. He shoots and hits you before he runs away.

Everyone calls the police. You’re taken to the hospital, but they won’t tell you how your dad is doing. You find out that your attacker had been arrested for three other violent attacks with a gun.

Elizabeth- We don’t think that being a waiter is dangerous, but the crazy came to visit you.

Rob- You’re dealing with the public late at night.

Elizabeth- Glad he was armed. The attack only stopped when the attacker was shot. Our defender saved lives because the attacker was shooting wildly and could have hurt many people. Our defender was shot, but continued to defend himself and others.

Elizabeth- The store worked together.

Elizabeth- Our forth story took place last week in Lithonia, Georgia.

Rob- Fourth story- Are you armed when when you’re shopping?

It is the middle of the morning and you’re picking up some snacks for lunch. You hear shouts from the checkout counter and look that way. A man is yelling and pointing his gun at the two clerks. Another customer backs away, and the two clerks are inching backwards with their hands in the air. The robber points his gun at the clerk’s head and shouts to open the cash register and give him the money.

What should you do? You step into the isle and the robber shouts again for no one to move. You’re armed. You draw your gun and shoot the robber several times. The robber starts to turn and drops his gun. Now all of you run to the back of the store and call police. There went your plans for the day…but the clerks and other customers were not hurt.

The store has everything on video and the police watch it. They say you’re a good Samaritan.

Elizabeth- Good stories this week.

Rob- What do you see?

Elizabeth- We talk about being a good witness, but you see a man threaten to kill innocent people. Again, the attacker didn’t simply show a gun and threaten them. He had the gun in their faces and pointed at their heads.

Rob- Are you going to run or fight…and how are you going to do it?

Elizabeth- You could duck down and slip out the back. There might be a second attacker at the back door. You don’t know. The robber might kill the clerks or other witnesses. We don’t have any guarantees.

Rob- Do you talk about situations like this with your students?

Elizabeth- Yes. We want to avoid and de-escalate if we can, but that has costs too. How will you feel if you walk away these two clerks were killed?

Rob- The clerks in my local store are young women. How would I feel if they were shot while I was there. Good to think about ahead of time. What did our defender do correctly?

Elizabeth- Lethal threat. Don’t have to walk up and grab the attacker. You can shoot from hiding. Shoot until the threat stops.

Exit- Rob- that wraps up this episode. Elizabeth, thank you for helping us again. Where can we learn more about you?

Elizabeth- I instruct in Colorado Springs. I teach small classes at my private range in Black Forest. Students can contact me at Colorado Boots Firearms Instruction.

Rob- After you look at Elizabeth’s website, then leave us a message on the podcast facebook page.

Elizabeth- We share this podcast with you for free. Please share the podcast with a friend and give us a rating on I-Tunes and Stitcher. We’re also available on Google Play Music and Spotify.

Rob- This podcast is part of the Self-defense radio network at sdrn.us

I’m Rob Morse. We’ll be back next week with more Self-Defense Gun Stories.

6 Likes