Serialize 80% receiver or frame

Any one here serialize a frame or receiver? Does it need to be done by an FFL?

5 Likes

I have serialized all of mine.
I went to a laser engraver.

I don’t believe it has to be an FFL unless it is already a 100% receiver, and you shipped it to them.

Though CA is different i am sure.

5 Likes

I don’t see a lot of point in having everyone’s ghost guns serialized with 000001. I’m absolutely sure there is a provision in Biden’s crap that requires a specific serial number.

6 Likes

I’m no lawyer, but what I gathered from the rule on engraving and marking was that the person doing the marking wasn’t going to be required to be an FFL as long as it didn’t leave your possession/direct supervision and require the frame/receiver be entered into inventory. In other words, if it was a job that was done while you waited and not left with the engraver while you were not present then it should be fine. Finding a non-FFL engraver willing to do that might be a different story.

6 Likes

In CA they want you to apply for a S/N and they issue it to you. Then you are instructed to have that serial number along with other “manufacturer” info engraved within a certain period of time (possibly related to completion of build time), and if i am not mistaken you are supposed to upload a picture with it on the finished receiver.

Or some other shit like that.

I serialized mine before all this required nonsense happened here. Reason is that i wanted to have even a sliver of a chaince of recovering the firearm if it had been stolen.

8 Likes

That’s the best question

requires who?

Where did you gather from?

that can both save and condemn

“clause”

The term is found 479 times in a single edition of blacks law, more or less for other editions

1006 times here

https://constitution.congress.gov/search/clause

comity, commerce ect ect, one of particular note

https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/amdt5-4-7-1-1-1/ALDE_00000909/[‘clause’]

but in any case

whats that matter, what do they have you don’t?

6 Likes
  1. Marking of “Privately made firearms”

The Department proposed to amend 27 CFR 478.92 to require FFLs to mark, or
supervise the marking of, the same serial number on each part of the weapon defined as
frame or receiver (as defined in the rule) of a PMF that the licensee acquired, but not
duplicate any serial number(s) placed on any other firearm. The marking would begin
with the FFL’s abbreviated license number (first three and last five digits) as a prefix,followed by a hyphen, and then followed by a number as a suffix (e.g., “12345678-
[number]”). Unless previously identified by another licensee, PMFs acquired by
licensees on or after the effective date of the rule were proposed to be marked in this
manner within seven days of receipt or other acquisition (including from a personal
collection), or before the date of disposition (including to a personal collection),
whichever is sooner.54 For PMFs acquired by licensees before the effective date of the
rule, the proposed rule would require licensees to mark or cause them to be marked by
another licensee either within 60 days from the effective date of a final rule, or before the
date of final disposition (including to a personal collection), whichever is sooner. 55

Consistent with the language and purpose of the GCA, the NPRM explained that
this proposed provision was necessary to allow ATF to trace all firearms acquired and
disposed of by licensees, prevent illicit firearms trafficking, and provide procedures for
FFLs and the public to follow with respect to PMF transactions with the licensed
community. The proposed rule further noted that this provision was crucial in light of
advances in technology that allow unlicensed, including prohibited, persons easily and
repeatedly to produce firearms at home from parts ordered online, or by using 3D printers
or personally owned or leased equipment. Such privately made firearms have made and
will continue to make their way to the primary market in firearms through the licensed
community. 56

At the same time, nothing in the proposed rule restricted persons who are not
otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms from making their own firearms without
markings solely for personal use, nor did the proposed rule require individuals to mark
PMFs when they occasionally acquire them for a personal collection, or sell or transfer
them from a personal collection to unlicensed in-State residents in accordance with
Federal, State, and local law. Further, the NPRM would not require FFLs to accept any
PMFs, or to mark PMFs themselves, or to provide services to place identification marks
on PMFs. Licensees would be able to arrange for individuals who wish to transfer PMFs
to licensees to have them marked by another licensee before accepting them, provided
they are properly marked in accordance with the proposed rule.

7 Likes

@Robert For me it is not possible to answer the original qiestion with 100% certainty without knowing the location in question and related law regarding not only legality of 80% builds but also the existence of any regulation related to serialization of these builds, and whether the receiver/frame is a firearm or not yet a firearm. Lol

6 Likes

“
As with the NPRM, the final rule does not mandate unlicensed persons to mark their own PMFs for personal use, or when they occasionally acquire them for a personal collection or sell or transfer them from a personal collection to unlicensed in-State residents consistent with Federal, State, and local law.”

6 Likes

In addition, the rule finalizes the proposed amendments to the term “gunsmith” to
include persons who engage in the business of identifying firearms for nonlicensees, thus
ensuring greater access to professional marking services for PMFs. The final rule
clarifies the gunsmithing rules proposed in the NPRM by stating the following: (1)
licensed firearms dealers (in addition to licensed manufacturers and importers) mayconduct same-day adjustments or repairs of all firearms, including PMFs, without taking them into inventory, provided they are returned to the person from whom they were
received; (2) nonlicensees may mark PMFs for a licensee under the licensee’s direct
supervision; and (3) licensees may adopt an existing unique identification number
previously placed on a PMF by a nonlicensee under certain conditions.

6 Likes

If you want to Mark/Serialize your own perhaps these will work.

I believe the executive order mandating a federal agency deliberately write and enforce a regulation that contravenes federal laws enacted by congress was illegal.

My understanding is that it only applies to FFLs and unmarked firearms and the makers of 80% “Kits”. Private/previously made or purchased are not required to be marked until they come in contact with an FFL.

FJB

5 Likes

Thanks for all the replies. I’m good with the feds, the way I read it new receivers have to be marked but those in possession are OK. WA State just passed a law with completely different gobbledygook, every unbuilt 80% frame and any un-serialized build made after 2019 have to be serialized to the same standard an FFL would do it, as in identifier prefix etc. Not sure if I could do it myself or not. I did plan on getting a laser anyway, do some pretty cool stuff besides serial # with those.

I think this is what WA State will require, although tough to decipher. I read through the whole thing, I think the intent is to do a FFL transfer to yourself to get the serial #.

7 Likes

Article I, Section 9, Clause 3:

No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

“unconstitutional on its face”

5 Likes

Once the infrastructure for marking receivers is put in place, how much do you want to bet that they hold Washington State up as an example for the rest of the country to follow suit?

6 Likes

The commercial builder of the particular 80% receivers. They also will be required to be federally licensed. If you sell your home made gun it requires the same thing. (The way I understood it).

5 Likes

Very good information

6 Likes

Should all the new serial numbers start with FJB???

7 Likes

:rofl:

5 Likes

And end with 1776!

6 Likes

I like it @shooterrex and @Robert

5 Likes