Seriously, where are the primers?

Reloading supplies have almost been extinct for more than 2 years. Why?
At first it was an election year. Then when Biden was elected everyone thought he was going to take our guns away. COVID has also been going on. Since then everyone has been buying guns and ammo. Why? Guns can’t fight a virus.

So why are ammo and reloading supplies so hard to find?

There are lots of companies that make ammo but only 4 companies that make primers. For that reason the primers are the limiting factor. They limit how many handloads I can make and how much ammo the big companies can make.

Companies are surely making primers and supplies as fast as they can. Are people hoarding so much as to cause this shortage to go on for years?

8 Likes

That’s their (manufacturer’s) contention, lately primers have been showing up on some local store shelves. They limit how many one can buy and prices are higher then before almost double at $6 dollars a hundred. Even on line (primer) sales are getting easier to find but shipping and hazmat fees add to the cost of that transaction.

6 Likes

Not just primers. They are making ammo 24/7 & using everything too. There is a new primer factory being built finally, but that isn’t a over night thing. Powder selection is horrible too.

Ammo that I want is mostly unobtainable and outrageous when I see it. The 22LR is still double or more if you can find it. Saw some in Walmart last week boxes of 300 @ .13/rnd.

The good news is there were 40 million guns sold in this country in the last 2 years.

9 Likes

True.
I have a favorite powder for each caliber. I can never get those powders. They always have a couple types of powders so I end up with a compromise. As a result my handloads are never as good as they used to be.

8 Likes

Maybe this will help…

6 Likes

I also think all the riots have a large effect on ammo and components. People who would have never even thought of owning firearms saw police precincts burnt to the ground. They bought guns and as much ammo as they could find. I do believe most components are goin to the OEM manufacturers and what is available to us is just a trickle.
Sure could use a pound or two of Varget

7 Likes

Great link! I hope they continue to add other calibers to their options.

6 Likes

Where are the anythings? Two months ago I bought 60 Swift .260 Rem “factory” rounds for my deer rifle at $3 a pop because it’s been over a year that I am waiting for Scirocco II bullets and any of three powders I would grab if I could find some. I have components I can use, except for the Scirocco bullets. But I do have a few hundred bullets of other design/brand on the shelf that I don’t like as well and use for target and varmint.

Not critical but concerning. I understand the whole hoarding thing because when Bill Cinton was running I stockpiled a bunch of ammo and reloading components. I also have some primers but I would sure feel better with 2,000 more.

Happily I came across a spam can (440 rounds) of Hungarian 7.62 x 54R that I forgot I squirreled away. I’m down to about 800 rounds of 7.62 Russian and the surplus market has gone ballistic, so to speak. I have loaded up on PPU bullets and brass to carry on. IF I COULD GET PRIMERS!

The excellent HXP 69 Greek .303 British I have turned out to be a better investment than Apple stock. Down to about my last 400 of those. :-(. But they are reloadable . . . IF I COULD FIND PRIMERS! The .311" PPU bullets fit this as well.

8 Likes

with the price of primers when you can find them, plus brass, bullets and powder reloading is not if any cheaper now…I am way down on some primers and powder, got one pound of varget left. I still have enough stuff to load 38/357 and 45 Colt which I have been loading and shooting little…

8 Likes

Shooting mil surp myself. I still have to buy at twice the price when I can find it. I don’t want to shoot up the good stuff. Reloading is on hold now. Need more components.

7 Likes

So here is an example.

These are the Primers we use for the 6.5 PRC. Since it was a recent addition we weren’t stocked, still dealing with issues and no idea even if it was a keeper.

They are in stock @ 0.16/Primer door to door, it can sit in the safe.

5 Likes

It would be interesting to see industry figures on who’s buying what. The easiest way to impose “backdoor” gun control would be through economic manipulation. There may be a few “whales” buying up certain commodities, such as copper, or directly buying ammo and components at the wholesale level, effectively creating shortages and pumping retail prices. Other markets have been rigged in this way.

6 Likes

Here you go limit 5K/Day…

6 Likes

Availability: Out of stock
In the 2 hours since you posted they are now out of stock.
They are probably out of stock already because they have a limit of 5K/day.

7 Likes

I got notified by 4 sites they had primers. That was the only one that still had any. The others had a 2K limit BTW. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Help is on the way!

4 Likes

We are making ammo full bore using primers & powder. The profiteers are buying primers to make money. Hoarders are grabbing all they can find. This has always passed & I believe it will this time if the factories keep making primers at the present rate things will catch up. I hope.

5 Likes

There is a new Primer Factory coming on line soon in Texarkana @MusashiAharon posted the other day above. Looking forward to it, because I was an idiot cheapskate that hung my own damned self. :noose:

5 Likes

Hoarders must be the reason for the shortage. People are not shooting up all the primers and ammo. People can’t shoot as much due to the shortage.

5 Likes

No such thing as a Hoarder, People who plan ahead and buy when price is low and product is plentiful versus other people don’t think there will be any issues is a smart person.

7 Likes