Sharps Rifle Company

I never heard of them before but I need a BCG with forward assist serrations. Theirs appears to be good and it was in stock. Good guarantee, so they have confidence in it. I like that.

I have their xtreme performance black BCG on order. I ordered it yesterday and they shipped 5AM my time. They’re in Wyoming and I’m in Maine so someone started the day very early. Shipping (priority mail) and insurance is in the price displayed. They appear to care or someone couldn’t sleep. 2 emails so far, basically, “If you need assistance let us know.”. So far so great, no assistance required. I haven’t contacted them yet, but how can anyone do any better?

This will be an ongoing thread where I “grade” them and their BCG. A short thread is a really good thread here. Fingers crossed. So far so great. But the time required will be much longer than if the outside weather was more agreeable.

7 Likes

My bad Brian. Sharps Rifle Co. is less than 60 miles by road. Completely forgot about them having BCG’s. I tend to think of them for them for their 25-45 Cartridge. In fact I thought of the Sharps Brothers when @Quick_Draw_Mcgraw mentioned them :sweat_smile:. Anyways I check, and on their BCG page they even explain they aren’t Sharps Rifle Co. and don’t make BCGs.

Next time I have time and down that way I will need to stop by. Their 25-45 caught my attention briefly, but I am to enamored with the 6.8 SPC ll and its children (Valkyrie & TAC6) to have more than a academic interest. I hear good things about them and it isn’t just local pride that makes me think you will be liking your BCG as much as @Quick_Draw_Mcgraw’s daughter is hers.

6 Likes

They had heat treatment issues when they first cameout, I was considering them at one point until I heard about that. Supposedly it’s no longer an issue though.

Still… LWRC and LMTs enhanced BCGs are the bee knees for AR BCGs and if someone is buying Gucci stuff then they are probably a better bet.

8 Likes

Have a dual ejector 308 BCG in DLC from them, and of course a 25-45 barrel. Good company to deal with.

7 Likes

Thanks gents. I’ll have it in my hot little hands in a few days, but it might not be until into the new year until I can test it.

7 Likes

Checking tracking history… Shortly after 1000 they printed postage in WY. Six hours later it was scanned in Roanoke, VA.

Gents, when I was in the mail order retail business I provided service like that and it doesn’t happen by luck. People would marvel at how fast they got packages. That sort of shipping is service like mine was, and frankly it takes dedication and caring. But now it’s out of their hands. It sat in VA at USPS for a day. But that’s not on SRC, they did their best.

To get that done it must be a small operation. But that’s not a slight. It just means they can care. A large operation just has people doing their jobs, just cogs on a gear.

7 Likes

Those heat treatment problems were a decade ago, and at least 2-3 new models ago.
Every one that has gotten the Sharps DLC, never buys anything else.
My bud has 5 of them.
The other two BCGs are nickel boron. We have had no problems with those either.

I was all about the 25-45, except its still a wildcat just like the 300HMR’.
They both out preform the 300 blackout, but for the girls, its just fine.

If I were a rich gun nut, I would have bought the 25-45, then the HMR as they came out. We have 5000 rounds of 300 blackout, so the rest are not practical to own.

6 Likes

I was interested too for a while. Confronted with the limits of the AR 15 and the 5.556 case vs the distances and winds of the AOs of the family, the 6.8 SPC made more sense.

The Grendel was almost there, certainly a contender, but it lost out to the higher pressure SPCll. Hornady disagreed and went with one of Harrison’s (ARP) Cats and SAAMI’d it as the 6mm ARC. I have his 6.8 based version the TAC6 and it is a great one.

You are right the 25-45 is interesting, but like the TAC6 as a Wildcat they both are harder to support in a broader or group situation. Especially when the heavies in 6.8 SPCll are are still supersonic to 1,000y, and it will push lighter choices to over 3,000 fps. Add to that the Valkyrie, which is a Laser with a Wack!

6 Likes

The BCG arrived today but since it’s a Christmas gift from the wife it’s unopened even though I ordered it and know precisely what it is. In the package was a hard mint, exactly what I did when I shipped out orders. I appreciated my customers and these folks do too (obviously).

7 Likes

Candy?

4 Likes

Built one just for the heck of it, should be a good blacktail gun. (As far as I know, went out a couple times with it but no blacktail)
A little over 8 lbs scoped with 10 rounds in the mag

8 Likes

Yes, a hard candy.

7 Likes

Nice, not too heavy either. Looks like a real nice rig and lighter than either my 20" 6.8 or 22" 6mm.

Never really hunted Blacktail… and I am going to leave it right there. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

huh, thats sweet :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

8 Likes

Everything is 223/556 spec except barrel and neck up the 223 brass to 25 cal.

9 Likes

I suspect it would make a fine deer cartridge within it’s useable range, using the right bullet, and a proper hit. Heck, 300BLK will kill a deer under the same stated conditions, even with subsonic.

If I remember correctly blacktail are denizens of deep rain forest and what is the maximum shot? I’m betting not all that far.

If I wanted another cartridge I might pick up an upper, but I really don’t. It looks like a fine cartridge.

7 Likes

There are about 3 bullets that work good for the 25, compared to about 150 for the 6.5.
and yes, don’t need a 1000 yard shooter here in the rain forest.

7 Likes

Unlike the 300 BO, the others use a full size case. More room for powder, more zoom zoom.

4 Likes

@albroswift Al while I like the TAC6 Wildcat we have, I think a 25 that was SPC based would be more something I would interested in than a 223/5.56. As I don’t live in a jungle, and distance and wind play a bigger role. The better BC of the 25 and the the speed of a 257 Roberts in a AR15 should be better than lighter 6mms. It was supposed to be SAAMI’d 4 or 5 years ago but it wasn’t. DTI had already built one and has been selling it for years. MDWS has the 25 GPC as well. I have thought about getting one. From their site forum:

'From what i can tell the dti is full length gpc (SPC?) case with 25 deg shoulder the 25 gpc has 30 deg shoulder and i shortened the case to fit the heavy long bullets in the chamber better, not a lot but trim length on the 25 gpc is 1.62 versus the dti at 1.667 so really it just comes down to which one you want to buy. my guess is they run pretty close but the gpc will run the heavy bullets better.

as i have stated before the 25 gpc is my favorite out of all mdws cats i have designed. it is fast, laser accurate and just fun to shoot.’

If I get another wild cat it will probably be a 25 and probably this one.

There is another one that’s based off of the 6.5x47 Lapua case shortened and the brass fire formed. With a capacity of 43.25 grains the .257 Bobcat should be a good one. Needs a new proprietary bolt and barrel extension and Lapua Brass to make the cases from for longevity’s sake. Intriguing, but more than I want to mess with.

6 Likes

Remember the M1 Garand was originally made in 270 Roberts.
It was a 10 rd enbloc,
They goberment had millions of 30-06 rounds left over from WWI, so they made Garand change calibers.

6 Likes