Shooting blanks for pleasure and training

Since July 4th is coming up, a relative said he wanted pics of me shooting in the air. That made me think of having some safe, celebratory noise with blanks and a blank adapter. Does anybody have experience with that? Any special safety concerns?

Military blank adapters on the M4 and M16 are muzzle devices that block off the muzzle, sending gas to cycle the BCG. One place says that in case a live round is fired instead, the adapter limits the damage. However, they require an A2 birdcage to clip onto. There are also suppressor-shaped blank adapters designed to imitate the Surefire SOCOM. Without a blank firing adapter (BFA), one has to manually rack the gun for every shot.

Aside from July 4th noisemaking, it seems like blanks might also be good for understanding how echoes work indoors. How realistic is it? Have you ever done it for training? Did you need to coordinate with the police, so that there’s no false alarm?

9 Likes

I’ve never trained in a small confined indoor setting. A local USPSA range has a small shoot house, but it’s not 100% realistic due to larger open windows. I have fired inside that house several times during a match and it was intimidating at first. The muzzle energy sounds and feels much different in a semi-enclosed space, that’s for sure. Also, the quick transition to a low-light environment is challenging. It’s definitely good practice.

I wish that Detroit would embrace blank rounds during holidays. Lot’s of lead raining down on New Years Eve! LOL

9 Likes

hmmmm, photos of you shooting in the air captioned differently than intended perhaps?

lol, try NC, hillybilly’s love shooting at midnight

8 Likes

Well the demographics and IQ there SUCK !

6 Likes

Is it just me, or did anyone else think this thread was going to be about vasectomies?

Sorry @MusashiAharon, I can’t help with your question.

6 Likes

No, it did read like it could go elsewhere :man_shrugging:

However, knowing how safe and private MusashiAharon is it still went in an unexpected direction with the photo op plan, first thing I pictured was a headline on radical Jews with his photo putting all the Palestinians on edge :grin:

8 Likes

Good questions. I don’t have any answers but would love to see a video or pics of your July 4th celebration!

8 Likes

Blanks in an M16 do not have the same recoil of noise of a live round.
For fast draw we use wax rounds. Something like that would be more realistic.
We used to John Wayne 2 M60s in jungle school with blanks.
Dont try it with live rounds. You will end up on your asp.

7 Likes

Man, I still wouldn’t want to fire blanks indoors without ear protection. Go ahead and give the sky what for on the 4th, though, just make sure no one present thinks blanks are funny to aim at people.

9 Likes