Side charging vs rear charging ARs?

What’s your favorite AR charging handle position?
  • Rear
  • Side
  • Other (do tell)

0 voters

I’m looking for uppers, and I’m seeing a bunch of side chargers. I’m reluctant to get one, because it’s not ambi and the BCG is not standard. Am I making a big deal out of nothing?

11 Likes

I am also curious about this. I almost bought a side charging upper but went with rear instead . I thought it might be like buying a car that was only made for a couple years and now parts are near impossible to get.

12 Likes

My thought exactly! Part of the big appeal of the AR platform is the parts compatibility & versatility.

11 Likes

I would stick with the traditional rear charging setup for that main reason. Training is another reason. Converting to a different system requires practice to develop new muscle memory. With the current ammo situation, I wouldn’t recommend consuming precious resources to learn a new platform.

12 Likes

I did a build with a non reciprocating version

only one, it was about 500.00

12 Likes

That’s a nice feature @Robert also being left side keeps the strong hand (if right handed shooter) in position.

11 Likes

https://devildogconcepts.com/product/black-friday-sale-hard-charger-with-free-steel-core-pull-handle

9 Likes

Stock. To me, this is a partially odd question. The charging handle is on both sides, on top, and at the rear.

9 Likes

I am still amazed that no one makes a left handed AR

9 Likes

Because lefties are weirdos. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

:laughing: Just joking

9 Likes

No you’re not, now just lying :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Remember when you told me that a left handed Canadian cant even properly club a baby seal?

9 Likes

Did Stag quit making their (almost) mirror image AR-15?

There was also the DPMS Southpaw, which used a left-handed upper receiver and left-handed stripped bolt (all other parts were standard). As I recall, I have two or three of the receivers and bolts.

I also have two left-handed side charging upper receivers and bolt carrier assemblies, that I got from BCA, a while back. One was assembled without a gas tube, and the barrel’s gas port was blocked by installing a low profile gas block backwards, to make it a straight-pull bolt action upper (just to try out the concept). I need to make a new handle for the bolt carrier, to make it a little more ergonomic for use as a bolt action.

The other is waiting for a few parts, to assemble as a 7.62x39 upper with a gas piston system. At some point in the future, I’ll probably get a lower receiver that takes AK mags, and mill the bolt carrier and upper receiver to clear the AK mags. Then maybe I’ll install a Sylvan Arms side folding adapter (just to take the AR-AK hybrid as far as it can go).

11 Likes

There are a few out there.
When I was building the 458 I noticed Tromix has the uppers, and Black Rain has upper/ lower sets, BCG’s. Seems like a couple of the large caliber AR builders offer them, don’t remember who right now. Being a south paw I have noticed them from time to time. If I was building a bullpup I would probably have to use one. Otherwise, I just stay away from slick sides and have had no issues shooting from the wrong side.

12 Likes

Yeah, I thought that’s what Stag was known for, offering ARs for lefties?

12 Likes

By “side-charging,” I mean uppers like the BRN-180. Note the handle attached to the BCG on the right side only, and no charging handle under the 1913 rail.

9 Likes

I’m building a side charging left handed AR for my wife for Christmas

11 Likes

Rear Charging is more versatile and common. IMO…Also None-Reciprocating unless you go High End uppers.

9 Likes

IraqVeteran8888 says side-chargers are better for suppressed guns because not as much gas gets blown in your face.

6 Likes

Who has the best these days?

Used to be American Spirit Arms has a left side charge, non reciprocating upper with a handle that even folded in, I bought one once, ran about 500 with the bolt, I’d of got more if I’d of known they were going under :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

I remember them. On the ShouldaCouldaWoulda list now.

I saw others posted these guys. But they’re new to me.

Anybody had any experience with them?

7 Likes