Sloping fixture for shark gills and fish scales

Wanting to do some fish scales/ shark gill cuts, but not having a tilting head mill, worked up a fixture out of a old cross slide vise this weekend. Ditched most of the top end, don’t need Y axis fine adjustment or vise jaw, tightened up the gibs and lead screw. tapped some holes. Photos shown with the practice slide at 18deg+/- 3.125:1 cross angle (0.040 step @ 0.125 spacing), 1:7 slope. Got a few test cuts in yesterday. 1/8" and 1/16" spacing, 1-1/4" dia cutter.

9 Likes

Pretty awesome, must hold your breath for the whole process :grin:

6 Likes

Would you repeat all that in English? :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

I assume you don’t have any adjustable angle v blocks.
Could you use a standard on one side or would that make it “pinch off” and move away?
either way, anything to make it work! :100:

7 Likes

Need to move the slide at a slope in relation to the mill while keeping the work point at the same distance in relation to the cutter stop.
Other option would be as you suggest BUT in addition step the Z axis each cut. (Boy a cnc would be nice for that!)
Step and cut does not come out as consistent as sliding to each work point.
Had a harbor fright with a tilting head last time I messed with this.

8 Likes

Will when I mount up the real slide.

7 Likes

I applaud your ingenuity here. You have to make due with what you have or the job doesn’t get done, but I hate that set-up.

8 Likes

Looks like it will be unique and all yours, the standard way is not always best. Lots of cnc programmers can’t walk and chew bubble gum at same time.

6 Likes

Don’t hold back tell me what you really think!
:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nice. I favor the “fish scale” checkering.

7 Likes

Gotta like Smiths “Not quite a fish scale” fish scale.

6 Likes

Shouldn’t that face the opposite way?

4 Likes

want it to slip or grip?

2 Likes

Looks right to me.
Ill probably cut them backwards on the slide I have 40 hrs and 250 dollars into!

3 Likes

I think it’s a trick of the light. The raised edges are face towards the muzzle to give surface when pulling the slide back.

4 Likes

Butt high when cutting… remember…butt high when cutting…
You guys are stressing me out…
Think im going to flip the practice piece over and do a few more…beers…

5 Likes

you may be right.

3 Likes

You have to make the cut some time… :grin:

4 Likes

Measure twice. Cut once. :wink:

And start with a fresh recharge on your Dremel.

(Yes, I’m kidding on that one).

3 Likes

More practice

6 Likes