Slow morning

Just one this morning. Woods were dead silent, seen a couple more but too far away for a shot.

7 Likes

I wish we had a huntable population of them.

5 Likes

Squirrel ranching?

5 Likes

Just put up a bird feeder :yep:

4 Likes

The area just doesn’t have enough mast trees to support them. But I’ve been working on fixing that for the past 4 decades. Greys are starting to show up. Red squirrels we have an endless supply of but rats are larger and probably have more meat on them.

I can drive 10 miles and find greys, just not locally. It might be a good hunt for an old curmudgeon who can’t walk far. I’m not accustomed to drive to hunt; normally I did it in my “back 40”.

:laughing: Bird feeders I don’t want. I got tired of washing the dogs of skunk spray at zero dark thirty. Now the bird feeders that I fill are in the coops.

5 Likes

We can sit on the front porch in the morning and see a dozen within 40 yards .

6 Likes

NICE!!!

Before I moved to NC, I had 5 acres in south Georgia. Three huge p’can trees in the front yard. The first year I killed 97 squirrels. I had so many p’cans the following year I had to stop shooting them. The branches go so heaving…I lost many BIG limbs.

8 Likes

OK, I’m officially jealous! I shoot that many red squirrels when the bird feeders are out, aka pine squirrels, but they are a hair larger than chipmunks, useless.

4 Likes

Worse, they chew through garbage cans

3 Likes

@BrianK you should count yourself blessed to have a auto moving target at random range :innocent:

That isn’t useless in my book. :skull_and_crossbones::+1::grinning:

2 Likes